Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,700 Posts
Hi, I have had a push-feed M70 in .30-06 for a number of years. Unfortunately I won't be a lot of help on loads as it tends to shoot about any handload well - terrible problem to have. I seat jacketed bullets to where they are 0.020" shy of the rifling and all seem to do OK.

For hunting I favor a 165gr. Partition. Powers used have included 4350, 4064, and Varget (current choice). All have worked fine using the loading manual recommendations.

A real nice cast load is a 170gr. cast bullet, gas checked, seated to contact the rifling, and 12 grains of Blue Dot. For 150 gr. bullets Marshall recommends 15 grains of Blue Dot, although I have not tried that. The 170 gr. bullet hits right where the crosshairs go from 'thick' to 'thin' on the bottom post, range 25 yards. Nice! Scope is a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8.

·
37,700 Posts
Bill,

"Two piece bolt"???

Sorry, don't understand that.

I do like the easy take-down on the Win bolt if you have to clean it in the field.

·
37,700 Posts
Bill, interesting, I knew that the Remington M700 & it's kin had a brazed bolt handle, but did not know that could apply to my Winchester!

All things considered I'm not likely to get it below freezing in Texas so probably little danger! I am going to take a close look at it tonight to see if I can find a parting line.

On interesting aspect of this is that if you look up the shear strength for brass and brazing alloys, the stuff is quite strong. Not as strong as steel of course, but strong enough that the average person isn't going to twist off a bolt handle by hand. I would guess that the examples above are really problems with the assembly/brazing process. Still.... one mistake is too many if your hunt is ruined or your life threatened by dangerous game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts