Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a used model 70 300 win. mag. Looks fairly new with black synthetic stock. Serial number is G2330848. Any idea of it's age and worth? I entered the number on Winchester's sight with no results.

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'll repeat what you'll find all over the board. No way to really tell without examining the gun what the value is. The value also will vary with your location. Try looking for similar models already sold (not the asking price) on Gunbroker and other auction sites to get a sense of what folks are willing to pay.

Follow the link two posts back. You have to read awhile to get all the numbers sorted out. Your gun is probably a USRAC-made Winchester from the 80's. You can contact Winchester to find out for sure, though. Apparently USRAC started the G numbers over some time in the early 90's to use unused numbers that should have been used in the late 60's or early 70's. Very confusing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a used Model 70 Classic DBM-S in .270 with serial number G32XXX and have been trying to get a build date as others have. My best guess upon reading the posts here is that it's a 1994 model but I am not really sure. This forum has been a great source of information to me and today is my first day on it as an official member and I'm glad of it.
I also got a chance to fire the gun this afternoon and it seems to shoot true... now I just have to work on my shooting ability after a 30 year layoff from shooting.
Any information about the Model 70 classic DBM-S with synthetic stock in a 270 would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Tony

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello, I am a new member I have been reading this forum for over a year. Decided to join and had a little problem posting but someone at [email protected] fixed the problem. Thanks you!!
Now my question I have just picked up a Winchester Mdl. 70 in a 300 wm. It has a s# of G216XXX could someone please tell me when it was made and what it is (ex. Shadow, Ultimate Shadow, etc.). Thank you for your time

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just called Browning/Winchester and was told my md. 70 was made in 1997 did not find out what it was except a md. 70. I knew that I had read everything in this forum and my set of #'s did not show up anywhere. When I called Browning/Winchester they said that the #'s from 2003 and up had to be looked up by them. That there was not much published outside of the company dealing with the #'s made after 2003. Hopes this helps others trying to date there later dated md. 70's. The folks at Browning/Winchester were polite and helpful with my questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
M70 SN G1041XX build date

Hey folks I've been looking all over the internet, but cannot find the build date of this rifle. it is an M70 Classic Super Grade with BOSS in 7mm Rem Mag. it has the orange-ish colored recoil pad that says "Winchester" and was built in New Haven. It has the claw ejector. When was this built? is that a good quality build date?

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Although the CRF feature may have been introduced in the Super Grade version of the M70 previously, the BOSS and CRF of the M70 Classic were both introduced around 1992. No reason to think that any Super Grade built during that timeframe would be anything but a fine quality rifle. I owned a Super Grade in '06 from that era, but it was not equipped with the BOSS. It was a very high quality & accurate rifle. I did eventually sell it, but only because I prefer a bolt rifle in '06 with a barrel no longer than 22". You have, in my opinion, a very high quality rifle likely as well made as the pre '64 versions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Tn

It is a rifle that I am looking to add to my collection, so I think I'll probably put a nice Zeiss ion it and call it a day. but I go back and forth versus getting a new super grade with the MOA trigger (non BOSS) for about the same cost! but there are not really any around it seems. In the plus column on the mid to late 90's made is that it was in the era of good quality machining after they revamped and modernized the factory

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I'd say a nice Zeiss scope on that rifle would make a perfect combo. The M70 triggers from that era are easily adjustable by any competent gunsmith. Best of luck with that fine new toy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Yes it did. I must have had my setting wrong or something because I wasn't getting notifications. Or maybe I wasn't feeling well at the time.

Happy to be back

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 70's question I haven't been able to answer, hope someone here can help. Here's what I have...

Model 70 .280, G 2,094,xxx RFM

My questions is, What does the "RFM" stand for?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

CA

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a four digit Model 70 standard that was sold to my father in 1937 by a Hardware firm in Ramona, CA and it is a .257 Roberts. I still have the receipt and a copy of thst firms order to their supplier. I don't have anything but both of those and an old brownish waxed paper type wrapping for it along with a box of Wnchester ammo that was never used. It will remain with my family and be passed down.
Normbc9

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winchester 70 super grade

Hello fellow hunters and shooters!

I am about to recive a Winchester m70 SuperGrade with the long claw extractor.
This has always been my dream rifle and they are scerce here in Sweden.
I am a little confused about a cuple of things about this perticuler rifle.
The first is the pistol grip, the pistol grip cap seams to be reworked in som sort of dark wood.
Or has there been super grades in this version?
The other thing is the serial number, G158226 its a six digits number,
I cant determinate the age. Is there anywone that has a guess?

.H

·
Super Moderator
13,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you read the rest of the thread and follow the links I think you'll see we've pretty much exhausted what we know. That's why the last two posts went unanswered. As I said earlier, sometime in the 1990's the G numbers started over in order to use up unused numbers. Not a smart move in my view, but that's what they did, and it would account for why you are short one digit.

If none of the links in previous posts answer your question, you will likely need to contact Winchester for an answer. I don't know about the pistol grip cap. Winchester may have the answer to that, too.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,866 Posts
I've seen black plastic pistol grip caps, but not wooden ones. May be a customized feature.

81 - 100 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.