Shooters Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,815 Posts
Pilotc/a - Please note the original post is over 6 years old. I'd anticipate the OP has either disposed of the firearm or has moved on to other boards. He hasn't posted here for over a year, now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw the sticky,figured this would be the best place for my Model 70 questions.

I got a Model 70 Westerner .223. It has a serial# of G1625XXX. From what I have read in this thread, it was built after 1981 when USRA took over.

My questions are, I can't find info on a .223 westerner. Does anyone have more info on the westerner? Should the gun have the USRA markings? Close idea on the production date?

Thank you for your help in adavnce.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I saw the sticky,figured this would be the best place for my Model 70 questions.

I got a Model 70 Westerner .223. It has a serial# of G1625XXX. From what I have read in this thread, it was built after 1981 when USRA took over.

My questions are, I can't find info on a .223 westerner. Does anyone have more info on the westerner? Should the gun have the USRA markings? Close idea on the production date?

Thank you for your help in adavnce.
You might be confused. Westerner is very likely the model name of the rifle and the caliber is very likely 223 Remington. Check the printing on the barrel very closely and I strongly suggest you take this to a gunsmith or a quality gun shop for verification.

Not that I know everything about guns and cartridges I don't think there is such a cartridge as Western 223 or 223 Western.

Here is a Westerner in 7mm Remington magnum Winchester model 70 Westerner for sale (924501438)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's a list of Serial numbers and production dates to go along with the introduction time line.

Winchester Post 64 Model 70 Information

POST 64 GUNS:
Gun production methods had changed to the point that Olin had to look at just how they made this model as compared to how Remington was making the model 700's. Winchester was making guns the "OLD WAY" using many machines & multiple operations to complete each part.

Serial Numbers for date manufactured for post-64 guns

Year S/N start S/N end Quantity
1964 700,000 757,180 57,181
1965 757,181 818,500 61,320
1966 818,501 855,860 37,360

Guns made after 1981 would have been made by USRA & not shown on this chart
I know this is an older post but Thank You! That is an amazing amount of in formation and helps me a lot. I am trying to decide if I want to sell my old Model 70 or keep it a bit longer. I don't imagine '64 model guns carry any extra value simply because they are first year models?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a Win model 70 Ultimate Shadow .270WSM with a serial # 35AMN05602. I have looked all over the inter-web with no success at date of mfg. please help

·
Super Moderator
13,167 Posts
That's still in production. Just call Winchester and ask. 801-333-3288.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
a 1949 std wt. pre 64 30-06 is fairly common and the date isn't particularly a consideration with this model. In the usual 90 percent condition its worth about $900 to $1000...If ment it may bring $1500 or more, and with hang tags, box, etc. it will probably bring about $2000 or more..

The pre 64s get out of sight in certain rare calibers..Also the fwt. model brings a bit more on the above prices so if its a fwt. add a couple of hundred to the price..

Also Win. prices vari as much as $200 or more from one geographical location to another. There are sights wherein literally hundreds of pre 64s are for sale and you can take a look at their pricing, but keep in mind they are asking prices, and some are apparantly ignorant or looking for a sucker...

I am not sure if I can mention these sights for you but here goes, if I cannot then Shooters Forum can erase them...Guns International, Used Guns For Sale Online, Antique Guns, Collectible Firearms Guns For Sale, Auctions, Buy and Sell, Online and a host of others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
model 70 xrt sporting magnum

Hi i just inherited this model 70 xrt sporting magnum in 338 win mag and wanted so info like a manufacturing date the serial number is g1794xxx any answers would be great thanks jacob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Winchester hv70 manufacture date

I'm a new member. I recently purchased a used Winchester hv70 in .223 Remington Serial # G214xxxx I have been trying to find information on this rifle such as manufacture date and any other trivia available. It has a blued action, heavy stainless non-fluted barrel, some type of composite stock i.e. Bell & Carlson, H-S Precision, the little info I could find on similar varmint rifles leads me to believe these stocks were aluminum beded. I purchased this rifle due to condition and after some research that seems to indicate this model has been out of production for some time. After some negotiation i ended up at $650. I did a lot of searching on the internet there is little to no information on this rifle. Any thoughts or facts on this purchase and or rifle would be welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I found and bought in a local gun shop a Model 70 Classic Super Grade with iron sights in .30-06 serial is G32812x
the rifle is marked ad MADE IN NEW HAVEN (CT).
Probably it's an old stock, the rifle is NEW..
Can someone help me to find the year of production ??

Many thanks !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The strange thing is that my rifle has not SUPER GRADE engraved on the floor plate ...
Someone told me that this model was in production in the first years of 2K ...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am new here and don't know nuthin. Recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 270 cartridge. Serial #788XX. Manufactured in 1947 or 1948. The stock forearm tip as well as the pistol grip cap are bright yellow? They appear to be fitted perfectly as though they came with the gun originally. Any insight would be appreciated, Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning, I just acquired a Model 70, serial number 741xxx which puts this rifle in the just past Pre 64 timeframe. I have questioned Winchester about the differences between this particular rifle and a Pre 64. Anyone have comments on how close to a Pre this might be?

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,186 Posts
Go back to the first page in this thread and read post #2. Should have your answers.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Good morning, I just acquired a Model 70, serial number 741xxx which puts this rifle in the just past Pre 64 timeframe. I have questioned Winchester about the differences between this particular rifle and a Pre 64. Anyone have comments on how close to a Pre this might be?
Apples and oranges. The post 64 push feed M70s are not "bad" rifles, but they are not what shooters had grown to like about the pre 64 version. If you like the rifle, then that's all that matters. I have all four versions, pre & post 64s along with the new "Winchester" CRF rifles and the 2008 til now FNH remakes of the traditional CRF M70. Personally, I like them all, but some more then others :D

Reactions: Travis299

·
Premium Member
14,239 Posts
Tnhunter is right-- the Post '64 Winchester rifle was closer to a Sako than a Model 70, but it was a very poorly done Sako imitation and the search for money cutting measures were plain to see in the design, materials, and workmanship. It is a Model 70 in name only, that's why you always see 'pre and post' in the descriptions.

Only the 1965 and '66 rifles could be called 'bad', but all were a far cry from the nearly perfect sporting rifle which was the Model 70 before the drastic changes.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts