Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My M70 223 build date?

Hi,
I am trying to work out my model 70s year of manufacture, by reading Bob’s detailed information here and reading wikis model 70 page. Though there does seem to be conflicting information in the thread posted over the years.
I have recently purchased a used Winchester Model 70 Sporter Varmint .223Rem Bolt Action Rifle. 26” barrel, wood stock in satin finish with cut checking. The brown rubber butt pad has a circular ‘Winchester’ embossed seal. Three position safety. Magazine floor plate looks cast as the inner face has some raised id info. The barrel stamp shows the manufacture as being at New Haven; presumably dating it before March 31, 2006, when the factory closed.
So <2006
Examining the bolt face:
I think it is push feed and not Controlled Round Reed (CRF), with a round plunger type ejector on the bolt face, possibly dating it as manufactured after 1964.
So >1964 <2006
There is a groove in an extended right locking lug, dating it as manufactured after 1968.
So >1968 <2006
The bolt face is not relieved at the bottom, so it’s not a Controlled Round Push Feed (CRPF) action, so maybe earlier than 1992.
So >1968 <1992.
The serial number is G2094500. ( G 2,094,500 ) ; dating it as manufactured after 1981 by USRA.
So >1981 <1992
I bought the rife through a dealer and it came with a red dot 4x32 scope so it looks like it was probably used here in the UK for foxes and Muntjac deer etc. Externally appears to have been looked after but needed a lot of cleaning. It shoots reasonably accurately on a 40 yard (5/8" 5 shot group) range but I am hoping with a better scope and some hand-loads it might be good for longer ranges. I'm yet to prove how good the barrel is or if it needs replacing.
I think the twist rate is likely 1:9.
Can anyone confirm or deny my year-of-manufacture estimate and suggest heads/loads for longer range?

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,284 Posts
From the horse's mouth:
What year was my Winchester manufactured? (Serial Number Reference)
Would appear to be newer than 1992.

As for loads for long range, there isn't a quick any easy answer; you just gotta find what your rifle likes. Pick a bullet that is appropriate for your long range. I've got room to shoot to a mile here, but doubt your locale affords that;)

Welcome to the board, BTW. Have a few folks and a moderate from your neck of the woods.

Cheers

Reactions: Shades81

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks for the reply and the welcome, much appreciated. We do have few very long ranges here but use of some military ranges, typically 600m.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
All the hoopla aside, You have a 1949 mod. 70 unfired, Do you have the original box and hang tags as that would add $200 or so, to a $3000 gun give or take $500. The sky can be the limit on such a gun in 100% condition and udnfired, but I have seen them mostly in the $2500 to $3000 range as new in the box with hang tags..A few have gone beyond that, but you have to get lucky..The best way to sell them is at auction, or just put a $4500 price on them and forget about it until they sell...sooner or later they well but probably later, much later..and caliber and model make a huge difference, one in a 9.3x62, or 9mm for instance adds a grand or two..a 257 or 7x57 adds about $500. If you have to ask, Id talk to a auction company and do my homework beyond the internet..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Trying to get some definitive info on a M70 i'm looking at. It's a "super express" model in 458 win mag. The serial # is G27xxx. I can't get any more info for a couple weeks till the owner returns from holidays. Wondering if anyone can provide an approximate date it was built, or any other pertinent info. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Trying to get some definitive info on a M70 i'm looking at. It's a "super express" model in 458 win mag. The serial # is G27xxx. I can't get any more info for a couple weeks till the owner returns from holidays. Wondering if anyone can provide an approximate date it was built, or any other pertinent info. Thanks for any help.
I will PM you my address, just ship it onto me :)t

·
Registered
3,946 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are M70s with the "G" prefix that have as few as two digits. Just depends on when and where it was made. As with most rifle serial #s, it gets rather complicated. That's why i'm hoping someone who has experience dating M70s can chime in and separate fact from internet gossip.
Thanks anyway for at least trying Tang.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
There are M70s with the "G" prefix that have as few as two digits. Just depends on when and where it was made. As with most rifle serial #s, it gets rather complicated. That's why i'm hoping someone who has experience dating M70s can chime in and separate fact from internet gossip.
Thanks anyway for at least trying Tang.
Email that collector association.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got some more info on the rifle in question. It is plainly a crf action, with a full length extractor. The serial # is "G27xxx". The barrel is original at 22" and has no sights. The recoil pad looks like the Winchester red one. The barrel has a sling stud attached to the bottom of it, just in front of the forestock. It is a block type stud rather than a barrel band.
If anybody has any knowledge, I will be very grateful as I have exhausted every lead I can find.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Got some more info on the rifle in question. It is plainly a crf action, with a full length extractor. The serial # is "G27xxx". The barrel is original at 22" and has no sights. The recoil pad looks like the Winchester red one. The barrel has a sling stud attached to the bottom of it, just in front of the forestock. It is a block type stud rather than a barrel band.
If anybody has any knowledge, I will be very grateful as I have exhausted every lead I can find.
There is one on Gunbroker just like you are asking about. The serial starts with G20 and it was made in the 1990's.

You can see on this timeline there was no Super Express (like you described) ever made before 1990. Mystery solved! 🙂

http://www.winchesterguns.com/support/faq/winchester-historical-timeline.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I wish it was solved. The one on Gunbroker has six digits after the "G" The one i'm looking at only has five, To further complicate matters Winchester was known to jumble serial #s. Use #s from years past and just add the "G" in front off it. Also the Custom shop used #s that hadn't used, but should have been in previous years. Makes for dating a m70 a PITA. Beginning to think that maybe I"ll just pass on the whole endeavour.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well, I wish it was solved. The one on Gunbroker has six digits after the "G" The one i'm looking at only has five, To further complicate matters Winchester was known to jumble serial #s. Use #s from years past and just add the "G" in front off it. Also the Custom shop used #s that hadn't used, but should have been in previous years. Makes for dating a m70 a PITA. Beginning to think that maybe I"ll just pass on the whole endeavour.
I talked to Winchester. They need the full serial number to date it. You can PM it to me, or you can message them yourself. I got a reply back this morning asking for the full number.

But again, I'll say this, they didn't make the Super Express before 1990.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Extra digit after the serial munber

Thank you for letting me join.
I just purchased a Winchester model 70 carbine in 30-06 SPRG. The serial number shows G174xxx1. The "1" seems to be offset higher than the rest of the serial number. Can someone tell me what the extra digit refers to and why is it slightly higher then the rest?
I am open to any other tips as this is my first Winchester.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.