Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am a newbie here and I hope to learn a lot from all you knowledgeable folks. I am an active member of RFC and other forums and I know I will enjoy participating in the discussions and topics about my favorite subject...Rifles!

I already have a question about the rifle mentioned above. I just came into posession of a 1986 Winchester Model 70 Carbine chambered in .223 Remington. After many hours of looking, I can't seem to find any information about this rifle on line. I would like to know what the rate of twist might be on the factory stock barrel. I need to know so that I can choose ammunition with bullet weights that are appropriate for the rate of twist. This gun was only made for a couple of years and there is little or no information available about it. How about you folks? Does anyone know the answer to this riddle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Kixonrt66

·
Beartooth Regular
7,777 Posts
You can figure it yourself if you've got a cleaning rod with a free spinning handle. I prefer putting a piece of tape on the rod as a flag. Take a piece about 2" long, press the middle against the rod and bring the ends together so they stick out. Put a snug patch on the rod, start the rod into the barrel, note the position of the flag, and measure how far out of the barrel the flag is. Push the rod into the barrel until the flag makes a complete turn, measure again and do the math. Done.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,071 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you have a cleaning rod you can measure the rate of twist. Just put a tight-fitting patch on a brush or jag, make an index mark on the rod, and measure how far it goes into or out of the gun when making one full revolution.

Edit: Jack types faster than me!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twist rate

Hello all,

I've measured this barrel twist according to the method you folks suggested and I keep getting a twist rate of 1 in 9". But now I'm a little confused...maybe I'm not doing it right. I just acquired a vintage 1986 Winchester catalog that has statistics about my rifle in it, and it lists the model 70 carbine rifle barrel in .223 as being a 1 in 12' twist. I took my gun to a gunsmith and he also measured it as being 1 in 9". What's up with this? Did Winchester change or vary from their own published catalog? Is my gun a special order gun? Any information will be a big help.

Thanks,

Kix

·
Registered
2 Posts
Twist Rate

Kix-

You must have "stumped the chumps". No replies to your question.

I'm following the same ghost. I have a Winchester Mod. 70 carbine with the short action in .223 Rem. I also measure a 1 in 9 inches twist rate. Mine was made in 1983. I have heard that Winchester changed the twist rate, but I don't know which rate came later 1 in 9 or 1 in 12.

My 1 in 9 does not seem to shoot the 55 grain bullets very well. I recently purchased some 70 grainers and they shoot much tighter groups. If I find out more, I will let you know.

Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, great string.

I have a winchester model 70 carbine 223 that shoots the winchester white box 45gr hp s badly, roughly 3" groups at 100 yards. I tried remington 55 gr the other day and got a
1-1/4" 3 hole 100 yard group.
After finding this string I just measured the rate of twist at 1:12. The serial no. is G1683XXX if that helps narrow down the twist rate change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
value of 1985 winchester model 70 223

Brand new to the forum...have an oppertunity to purchase a 1985 model 70 223 carbine...any idea on gun value today?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Totally random and OBVIOUSLY an old thread.... But did anyone figure this out, just ran into the same thing, but my Winny 70 is a HV Barrel in 223 REM, serial G23XXXXI

Obviously a totally later year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts