Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it looks good on paper...anyone ever actually shoot one?? I haven't even seen one in stores yet, much less heard if they shoot worth a darn.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
MOA guarantee ? Man I would be pissed if my gun only shot 1" @ 100 yards. I know that is acceptable by hunting standards, but I stive for 3/4" and smaller.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
"If you want me to take a crap in a Winchester box and slap a 'Guaranteed MOA' label on it, I can do that...but wouldn't you rather buy a quality product made in the good ol' US OF A?!"

(Chris Farley - "Tommy Boy")

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really care where they make them now. The stuff they made before they closed the plant was crap. Problem is, it doesn't seem as if anyone has ever seen this rifle, much less shot it. I don't remember reading about MOA accuracy, I know the new trigger system is called "MOA".

So far what I've seen on their new wood stocked models isn't impressive. Need to spend a little more time fitting the recoil pad and finishing the wood. Pathetic as far as I'm concerned. Re-invent a trigger, but can't finish wood. Winchester could actually do that 50 years ago...

·
Registered
79 Posts
My bad, it is the commercial FN SPR and TSR rifles that give the 1 moa or less guarantee or less. Made right here in good old USA, but the Winchester M70's are made right here in that very same plant. Don't get me wrong, I am not a winchester fanboi or anything like that, but these new FN made M70s are actually very well made guns.

I had been looking at both the FN and the Winchesters so much my memory played a trick on me. Sorry about that!

As for the moa or less, I am with ya. But remember this is a production weapon, guaranteed with production ammo. So that is actually fairly decent. I mean if you start at moa / factory, then properly tuned reloads should get you 1/2 pretty easily. :)

Good Shooting
P.S. - http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/group.asp?gid=FNG005&cid=FNC01

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The FN Winchester is made in the USA by American workers, FN barrels are famous for there quality, for the price you pay you get a world class rifle. For those that don't like a foriegn company, remember Winchester was previously American owned by a corporation that didn't care/know about firearms quality went to **** and production cost soared. When FN purchased Winchester the company was in shambles, FN made every effort to turn things around but the damage had already been done. When they relocated the plant the end result is a model 70 that is far better than the one it replaced. Alot of the "American owned" product nowdays are run by investment companies interested in short term gains. They could care less about quality as long as the product sells and they make a profit. They rape the company then sell it off to another set of investers when there is nothing left to take.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wasn't FN already making their own Model 70 variant before they acquired Winchester?

The American short term gain is the way of business, unfortunately. We can't manufacture $300 rifles, and that's what the market wants to pay. So, they're made elsewhere. Comparative advantage at its finest. So goes the Remington 870. The biggest portion of the gun buying market wants this gun for less than $250. Remington responded and figured out how to make it cheaper. Some of the 870's from 30 years ago have wood that is only found on custom guns today. The American labor force is too smart for large scale manufacturing, we are innovators.

Anyway, so.......has anyone actually shot one of the new FN Model 70's? Everything else is hearsay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own two of the fn mod 70 a featherweight and a coyote outback.The fwt seem to be an accurate rifle with me shooting but my shooting abilities are limited.I haven't had the time to shoot the other one yet.Both of these rifle are really well made and the new trigger is also very nice,I've read alot about them and most of them seem to shoot really good.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
>Anyway, so.......has anyone actually shot one of the new FN Model 70's? Everything else is hearsay.

Well, I haven't shot one. But I have been through the plant and seen them being built, and I've read numerous reviews and spoken to several people who have shot them.

Aside from the redesigned trigger, they are Model 70s. The only cost-cutting I've seen has been in the form of state-of-the-art CNC production facilities that greatly reduce the handwork needed.

And here I have to say it -- American manufacturing companies love to blame foreign competition for their woes; but the fact is, it has been their own unwillingness to compete that has been their downfall. I've seen it in the textile industry, steel, cars, you-name it. American companies invent an item, along with methods and tools of production of that item. Foreign companies begin to tool up, often using cast-off rebuilt American tooling. Then, another American company invents startlingly more efficient tooling to do the job -- but American companies don't invest in the new technology. Foreign companies do, and suddenly, combined with often-lower labor cost, they are able to leapfrog their American mentors.

It is all blatantly obvious. American companies tend to get fat, happy, and complacent about continued investment in their own facilities. When the foreign competitors begin to crowd their market share, they cry for tariffs. When the tariffs fail to protect them, they move out or go bust.

What has killed American manufacturing is simply dumb, shortsighted business decisions. And I'll be derned if I ain't steamed at being taxed to reward them with bailout money.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
What has killed American manufacturing is simply dumb, shortsighted business decisions. And I'll be derned if I ain't steamed at being taxed to reward them with bailout money.

I agree ! Since I work for a beer distributor, I was very disappointed when Anhesuer-Busch sold out to an over seas company. It was a very sad day for an American icon. Now they are wanting to do away with the Clydesdales and sell the Busch Gardens parks.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree ! Since I work for a beer distributor, I was very disappointed when Anhesuer-Busch sold out to an over seas company. It was a very sad day for an American icon. Now they are wanting to do away with the Clydesdales and sell the Busch Gardens parks.
While Coors and Budweiser are both popular beers in the US, their founders were German. So I'm not sure about being "American icons"....

They were bought because they needed to be sold. I don't have a problem with companies getting fat, happy, or complacent. That's the American way. When they get big enough, they get favors from Uncle Sam. Look at Obama and the banks, he says they are too big and hurt the country. BS, they got big because of lucrative gains that were allowed because the GOVT deregulated lending. What the government didn't doesn't like is that someone else has control over the country, and it isn't them. Banks rule the world, don't kid yourself.

Anyway, looks like I'll wait on the Model 70 Extreme Condition.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts