Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Model 70 Featherweight and am anxious to find hunting 30-06 loads that shoot tight groups in this model of rifle. My starting bullet is a Barnes 168 grain TTSX boattail. I'll probably begin with IMR 4895 at 100-200 fps less than maximum. Other Barnes loads I've worked up seem to like it there. Does anyone have accurate 30-06 loads in the 150-180 grain range to share that they have found for this model rifle?

·
Banned
604 Posts
There are many good loads for a bolt action .30-06. There are books full of them. How they shoot in your particular rifle isn't up to any "Magic Formula". Every rifle will shoot any individual load differently, as a general rule. It will be up to you to determine what shoots best in your rifle. Let me rephrase that ... it is up to your RIFLE as to what combination of case, primer, powder and bullet it may prefer.

Handloading will make your search more enjoyable. Many many of the riflemen here will tell you the same thing. I read someplace where there are now a couple hundred different bullets alone for the .30 bore. Powder choices and amounts raise it to thousands. Different manufactured brass has numerous sources ... some hold more or less than others. The same with the primers. Lots of different brands and sizes.

My suggestion is to pick the bullet you want to use and start reading the reloading manuals. They are invaluable and have a wealth of information.

Some shooters will load it up or down, depending on what they are hunting and / or the range they are hunting at.

Fortunately, the .30-06 is very easy to load for. And it's very usable for a wide variety of game. I've seen grizzley shot stem to stern with a 180 grain bullet, coyotes with a 110 grain bullet, antelope with the 150 grain load, deer with the 165 grain load.

You've selected a fantastic cartridge in an equally fantastic rifle, the Model 70. Good job. Good hunting. Have fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a Winchester mod 70 sporter in 30-06. Mt pet load for it is Rem brass. Winchester Lr primer with 57.0 grs Hogdons H4350 powder under a 180 Sierra round nose. Cronographed at 2752 out of a 24 in barrel.

·
Inactive account
556 Posts
It depends

I follow the recommended loads in the Lyman reloading manual. All of my .30-06 rifles perform well with 150 grain bullets and IMR4350 powder. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
I've owned several 30-06's (and still do). Most of those I've played with like a 165 grain bullet of one flavor or another.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Load some IMR4350 under a 165gr bullet and you should be headed in the right direction. I have no use for TTSX, TSX, E-Tip, or GMX bullets in my '06. Hornady SST or BTSP work well for me and don't break the bank.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My Featherweight 06 really likes Nosler 165 grain BTs loaded 100 to 200 fps below maximum with H414 or IMR 4350. It shoots OK with max/near max loads, but really key-holes with the slightly milder loads. I'm going to try to achieve the same results with 165 Accu-bonds. Early results again indicate that less than max level loads are going to be the key. The gun also likes 150 Rem core locts loaded pretty hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.