Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noobie here....
I have a post 64 model 70 that is locked in firing position. I have removed the bold and firing pin assembly everything looks right after i move the safety into the middle position but when I re-assemble it, put it back into the action and fire (both dry and live) the safety will stay in the fire position and will not move back to the middle position. It looks as if the firing pin is passing the half moon notch that is the safety and will not allow for it to be moved back into the middle position. I have reset and it keeps doing it.
ANY IDEAS????
:confused::confused:

·
Registered
463 Posts
It only works when the rifle is "live" so if you have already fired it shouldn't engage.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,451 Posts
If you reset the sear (raise and lower the bolt handle) and can't engage the safety, this is a common problem with push feed model 70s. Mine did it which is how I found out about the issue.

The angled surface on the firing pin gets a "divot" where the safety engages it. Either the safety is rough, or the firing pin is too soft. Another model 70 that I examined showed signs of the same problem starting, but wasn't as bad as mine.

Take it apart and see if that is the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It does have a little bit of a divot...does that mean i have to replace the firing pin and if so where can i get a factory pin?...if i cannot get a factory pin and have to replace it with a different style do i have to also get a cocking piece?

I was thinking maybe the sear was not catching the pin...not holding it back far enough to let the safety move into place

1 - 4 of 4 Posts