Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post on the forum!

I have a post-64 Winchester Model 70 in a .270 win (made in ‘82 according to the serial number) that used to belong to my grandfather. I am looking to purchase a .300 WM rifle in the near future, and I am curious if it is possible swap out the stock on the new rifle and replace it with the stock of my grandfather’s .270.

How do I go about seeing which gun’s stocks are compatible with one another? I don’t know where to start with dimensions, brands, anything. If I buy a brand new Winchester model 70 in a .300 WM, will that fit on my grandfathers .270 stock from 1982? Would other brand’s stocks be compatible? How do I check this?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide, I’ve spent hours googling and haven’t read anything helpful.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
82 is a push-feed, long action. Best bet would be to find a .300 Win Mag made in that era; however the barrel is likely a heavier profile on the .300. Won't know till you try it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
A new Win 70 will not fit the post 65 stock you now have. It can be made to fit with some careful re bedding. I have a current producrion Win70 feather weight I have done this with. If you pay some one to re-bed be prepared to pay $.

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you here. These folks have given good advice. All the best...
Gil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts