Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I've been looking at one of these and wondering to those who have purchased one, how do like it? How does it shoot? What do you like or dislike about it? Is it worth paying 1599.99 for it? The one I'm looking at is a 270.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I purchased a Browning Xbolt 270 in Maple a couple years ago and the price was nowhere near $1,600. May want to consider a Browning. These can be found on gun Broker and other sites as well. Very pleased with my rifle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new Browning Xbolt Western Hunter stainless 270 and I've yet to find a round it likes yet. I have been looking at those Winchester Model 70 Supergrade's in the AAA maple and can't get over how nice they are!..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I sure like the looks of a nice wood stock, nothing finer. However I won’t take to the woods with anything but a synthetic stock. Zero issues with worrying about nicking it up or being affected by moisture/heat/cold. Keep the nice wood stock in the gun cabinet and swap them out as needed for admiring and hunting

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Fine looking rifle. I have a pre 64 model 70 in 270 that my Dad cut down the factory stock(to fit me as a youth) and built a maple stock for regular size. Still one of my favorite shooters with a ton of sentimental value. It will eventually go to my grandson when he is old enough.

I did a quick look online and found almost all for less than what you stated (multiple calibers). Here is one in 270. Buy now price of $1200.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/711868906

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
I have purchased a M70 Super Grade in .308 along with 3 other M70s since the changeover to FNH production. All four shot MOA or better with factory fodder.

The Super Grade is a quality rifle in its price range and also having purchased a Browning X-Bolt Medallion in the last 12 months or so, I feel the M70 SG to be a superior rifle.

I'm considering the purchase of another SA Super Grade to make into a .358 and was just looking online at them yesterday. The high grade walnut ones start at just under $1,000 and the high grade maple run $200-$300 more.

I prefer the Super Grade to the Kimber with high grade wood or the Medallion. But you may prefer one of the other two.

Pics are of my Super Grade in .308 and the very similarly finished JOC Tribute rifle in .270. The wood quality, bluing and finish of the rifles is near identical, but the JOC has some added features and was made in very limited production, thus was a more expensive rifle.

Attachments

Reactions: Davers and Slamo

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldn't mind owning one. But for that kind of $$$, I'd buy a Sako.

I've yet to see a Sako that didn't shoot very tiny groups.

I have two Sako AV's. Both will shoot .25" and smaller at a hundred. And they're definitive of excellence in craftsmanship.

·
The Shadow
7,599 Posts
1) How does it shoot?
2) What do you like or dislike about it?
3) Is it worth paying 1599.99 for it?
4) The one I'm looking at is a 270.
I don't have first hand shooting experience with it, but a few of your questions are subjective.
1) This is a pretty common question, but they aren't clones; so one isn't always indicative of the bunch. Never heard anything bad in general, and I believe they have a MOA guarantee.
2) A bit open-ended, is there something specific you are concerned about?
3) "Worth it" is individual. We can't tell you what qualities in a wife/partner would fit you. We can't tell you if $1,600 is "worth it" to you.
4) That wouldn't make it shoot any better or worse than another chambering. But sounds like a fine choice.

Reactions: Travis299

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have purchased a M70 Super Grade in .308 along with 3 other M70s since the changeover to FNH production. All four shot MOA or better with factory fodder.

The Super Grade is a quality rifle in its price range and also having purchased a Browning X-Bolt Medallion in the last 12 months or so, I feel the M70 SG to be a superior rifle.

I'm considering the purchase of another SA Super Grade to make into a .358 and was just looking online at them yesterday. The high grade walnut ones start at just under $1,000 and the high grade maple run $200-$300 more.

I prefer the Super Grade to the Kimber with high grade wood or the Medallion. But you may prefer one of the other two.

Pics are of my Super Grade in .308 and the very similarly finished JOC Tribute rifle in .270. The wood quality, bluing and finish of the rifles is near identical, but the JOC has some added features and was made in very limited production, thus was a more expensive rifle.

Beautiful Rifles!.... Nice set ups too!..

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
everything is good but the stock. i just don't like maple.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a new Browning Xbolt Western Hunter stainless 270 and I've yet to find a round it likes yet. I have been looking at those Winchester Model 70 Supergrade's in the AAA maple and can't get over how nice they are!..
I have the super grade in 7x57 mauser and I love it. It is a shooter.:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Model 70 Super Grade 25-06

I have a model 70 super Grade in 25-96 very accurate looks great cost $1200 about 3 years ago. They are being made in South Carolina by FN. I also have a Model 70 in 7mm mag with a boss on it. It is also very accurate and has a very nice stock on it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a Winchester 70 super grade (not maple) in 30-06 and they shipped me the wrong gun from buds! Anyways they refunded me the difference as I had a hunt coming up and what was actually sent to me was a Winchester 70 shadow hunter. I ended up being happier with it as I don’t worry about the stock when hunting. The wood doesn’t flex in the cold or heat because it’s not wood. It shoots tiny groups and doesn’t kick much for an 06 because the recoil pad is so good. I’ll see if I can find a picture of a grouping and I’ll post it here. I have a few pics but I’ll post the first one that I find.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts