Shooters Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
My phone was being weird so I’m adding a pic of my Win 70
How can anyone argue with the choice of a M70 AND a Leupold VX-R scope?? Is it a 3-9×40? My last VX-R purchase a few weeks ago was a 3-9×40 for a favorite .300 mag. I'd love one more for my BLR/.325.

Nice set-up!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ahh thank you! Yes it’s the 3-9x40. Got it used for roughly $400 and I love it. I have not seen a more clear scope in the price range. The gold ring I personally think really brings the whole rifle together. 30-06 is plenty enough for anything in North America and it’s my “Do anything” rig. Plus the barrel life of the 06 is amazing so I do shoot it a fair amount and recently got into reloading for it. I’m currently working on a 210 grain Accubond LR load for elk next year and it’s been shooting great. If I remember right, you were the one who recommended me the Winchester 70 In the first place. It’s treated me very well. Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
I came so close to buying one 3 years ago. I was apprehensive because I wanted to give it time to read reviews. It’s a beautiful looking rifle. A bit overpriced. Materials are supposed to be a better grade than other model 70s. I’m about ready to pull the trigger and get one. It’s usually the luck of the draw with a factory rifle. But it sure is pretty. I’d wager I should be able to get 1” MOA. Probably better with reloads. I mostly shoot offhand and would only expect to use it out to 300 yards for hunting if it turns out to be a 1” MOA (maybe 400). But after this one and a Sako 85 , I’m going custom .

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I came so close to buying one 3 years ago. I was apprehensive because I wanted to give it time to read reviews. It’s a beautiful looking rifle. A bit overpriced. Materials are supposed to be a better grade than other model 70s. I’m about ready to pull the trigger and get one. It’s usually the luck of the draw with a factory rifle. But it sure is pretty. I’d wager I should be able to get 1” MOA. Probably better with reloads. I mostly shoot offhand and would only expect to use it out to 300 yards for hunting if it turns out to be a 1” MOA (maybe 400). But after this one and a Sako 85 , I’m going custom .
I did pull the trigger on a M70 SG Maple, .308 as well as on a Maple Featherweight in .308 as well. They are both superbly finished rifles and I'm very happy with both. I have also purchased two Sako M85s in the last six months or so and I'm very happy with both of them. One is a Classic in 30/06 and the other is a Kodiak in .338WM.

For my $$, the Super Grade is every bit as nice as my M85s. The M85 is here only because I do not like a 24" barrel on a 30/06. Once my account recovers from the Kodiak purchase less than 2 weeks ago, the next purchase will be another new M70 limited edition.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I sure like the looks of a nice wood stock, nothing finer. However I won’t take to the woods with anything but a synthetic stock. Zero issues with worrying about nicking it up or being affected by moisture/heat/cold. Keep the nice wood stock in the gun cabinet and swap them out as needed for admiring and hunting
or you can graphic dip your synthetic stock in a wood pattern. Still synthetic but at least more aesthetically acceptable.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nope sorry I would have to hunt those with the wood stocks and give them some character marks. They are beautiful.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts