Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a Winchester 71 I could afford! It is a 1954 rifle that someone mounted a Weatherby 2 3/4x10 power scope in a Williams side mount. I took the scope off and sent it to Bobby Tyler to fill in the holes and color case the receiver, butt plate and forend cap, reblue the barrel, hammer, loading gate and lever. I will put a steel receiver sight on it (if I can find one for a decent price) and hunt the heck out of it. Here is the before pic when I received it with the after pics coming in a couple of months:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just sold my 1936-37 Deluxe with bolt-mounted peep and factory sling swivels for $2100 (along with 200+ factory rounds including 200 gr and 250 gr silvertips). Had it listed here and no offers, so I dropped the price for a friend!

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Great catch

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. Some years ago, I managed to find a mint Model 71 in the used gun racks of a favorite gun shop and bought it cheap. These are classic rifles and a joy to own. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a couple of the Browning carbine versions but it ain’t the same as a “real” Winchester!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a bunch of 200 gr Hornady and 220 gr Barnes bullets at a great price so it may be a while before I get to using lead bullets but I do plan on casting for it when I decide on a couple of molds. I use cast for my Sharps rifles and my Ruger .480 so it would be natural to do it

·
Registered
133 Posts
I will always regret failing to buy one when I had the chance. One of my uncles was a gunsmith, and he had the full size rifle. He made a full length magazine tube for it,and as a kid, I thought it would shoot all day without reloading!:D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Un-Bubba job

Un-Bubba job: I really good to see a rifle brought up to speed undoing a bunch of crap. If that's a German made Weatherby scope could be worth some money. I have a Lyman mold for 348. I have considered getting rid of it but will probably get a Model 71 the next day.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
What a pleasing rifle to view. Is the scope offset from the rifle top? What happens to ejecting cases?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a German made scope and has already gone down the road. Plain cross hair and non centered reticle. Optics were mighty clear though. The scope is mounted off to the left so the ejection port is clear

·
Registered
27 Posts
A number of years back, I had a standard grade model 71. God knows why,:rolleyes: but I made the decision to 'part' with it. It was one of those deals where five minutes after I made the deal, I regretted it. Too late. Then, a couple of years later at a local gun show, I saw a mint deluxe model for sale, at a STEEP price. Reluctantly, I passed. As luck would have it, I saw it again at the next local gun show. Judging it was highly unlikely I'd ever see another that clean,:) I 'bit the bullet' and got it. When the opportunity presented ;) itself, at gun shows usually, I've ended up acquiring a 'generous' supply of Winchester unprimed brass. Bullets, Hornady 200gr FP interlock, Barnes 220gr FN originals and 250gr FNSP originals. Oh, still, I wouldn't mind picking up some of the old Winchester silver tip bullets, both the 200gr and 250gr.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sometimes we want to buy nice Winchester on the cheap, then we spend big bucks modifying it, when in fact we could have bought an original for the same money or close enough for guv work!!

I recently purchased a very old first year of production mod 71 receiver sighted.., Action turned a beautiful brown patina action no pits scratches or bad screws, and 90% plus blue fading lightly on the rest, but not a crack or nick in the stock, bore was pristine, needed the lever lock replaced and that took 20 minutes..$1100. Just not quite a collector, but a great hunting rifle, and Im hard on collectors, I can turn one into a hunter only on one trip.

A really nice collector goes for about $2000 an up, skys the limit..Its hard to find a nice hunting 71 these days, even the less than desirable fetch $1400 and up to $1900 it seems..Honest wear doesn't seem to hurt the value of the old Winchester, abuse and modification does...but modification can always make a great hunter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts