Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if someone can help me get more information on this rifle that was handed down to me from an old friend of mine that passed away recently. He told me that this rifle has killed a deer every year he's owned it since he was a small boy, and he expected me to continue that tradition. I've heard that these rifles are sometimes unsafe, but I'm not sure why. I'm looking for a year and possibly a value, though I have no intentions of getting rid of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Winchester - Model 94 - 32 W.S. - SN#14349xx

Thanks,
Michael

<!--EDIT|MikeG|Feb. 24 2002,22:57-->

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maltstan, according to the data I have gathered, the 32 Winchester Special that was given to you was manufactured between the years 1943 and 1948; probably closer to 1947-48 (cf. The Legacy of Lever Guns, Special Edition, Winter 2000, page 118). The 32 Winchester Special is VERY similiar, virtually identical though not completely to the 30-30 Winchester cartridge. It is therefore as good as but no better than the 30-30. If the rifle has a bright bore, sharp rifling, and is otherwise mechanically sound it should be safe to shoot. Futhermore, if the rifle is all original with a good amount of the bluing left on the metal parts, and if the wood is in good condition with no major dings, scratches, etc. it could be worth from $300 to 450. A lot of variables come into play such as supply and demand. I'm told that supply and demand have more to do with actual gun value than any other factor! How many of a particular firearm are available, and how many people want it will determine what a buyer is willing to pay for the item.. The "problem" with the 32 Winchester Special is ammo is getting very scarce and the readily available 30-30 is its equal in nearly every way which almost, but not quite, makes the .32 Winchester Special a "dead" duck in the water.

Take care friend,
Timberwolf

·
Banned
739 Posts
malstan,
Hmmmm, same post on two threads.  OK, what I said on the other thread and this.
I know the 32WS is less popular than the 30-30, but components are available.  If you have problems finding brass, it can be easily made by necking up 30-30 brass.  
It shouldn't be too hard to get however.
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts