Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently received my grandfathers Winchester Model 94. The serial number shows it was manufactured in 1912. The history on it is he bought it as a used saddle gun.
The rifle has a flip up "tang" site but no rear "iron" site you see on all the other models I see.
Does anyone know if this gun had both a tang and a rear site?
What does the rear site look like on a 1912 era rifle? I see several on Ebay for sale but I want to try to be true to the era.
Thank you for any and all help or comments.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does it have a dovetail cut in the barrel where the rear buck-horn sight used to be? The rear sight was probably removed. I took the rear sight off my old Winchester 94 when I put a Lyman receiver sight on the gun. You can probably find another rear replacement sight if you want to replace it. It may not match the condition of the bluing on your rifle barrel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have a dovetail cut in the barrel where the rear buck-horn sight used to be? The rear sight was probably removed. I took the rear sight off my old Winchester 94 when I put a Lyman receiver sight on the gun. You can probably find another rear replacement sight if you want to replace it. It may not match the condition of the bluing on your rifle barrel.
Thank you for your help. Yes, it does have the dovetail cut on the barrel.
Did you take yours off because it was in the way?
Does it just slide in and out of that dovetail?
Was it the kind with the elevation slide?

Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put a Williams peep sight on my 1970s model 94
The rear sight was always a distraction to my aiming so I removed it.
I cut off the front and filed the front to match the rear that fit into the dove tail and installed it back into its home.

If you do find a rear sight to install on your rifle please be careful as I cracked the forearm on mine reinstalling it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for your help. Yes, it does have the dovetail cut on the barrel.
Did you take yours off because it was in the way?

Thank you
I took mine off because I installed a Lyman receiver sight, which the receiver was already drilled and tapped for (early 50's model 94 .32 Win. Spl.), and the original was just in the way. Yes, it was the kind with an elevation slide. The stock sight just slides back into the dovetail from right to left. My old eyes don't do well with the buckhorn type sights anymore, so I put on the Lyman receiver sight and installed a blade up front. I still carry and take hikes with that old rifle that I got for my 14th birthday. Standard load now is 170 grn LFNGC at about 1900 fps. Still shoots very good. Easiest carrying rifle I own. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I put a Williams peep sight on my 1970s model 94
Got William's sights on all five of my lever actions!

You can buy dovetail plugs fairly cheaply - or make your own!

The tang sight on your rifle will be more than you will ever need - and much better than a stock 'Buckhorn' style sight.

A William's on one of my Winchesters.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Fast answer, No. It requires some careful effort, if it doesn't fit, don't keep hammering.

The dovetail is wider on the right side, (looking down the barrel), and narrower on the left. Don't try to remove, or install the sight through the narrow portion of the dovetail. :(

There are lots of stepped pegs that will work on lots of different sights, and some that are not compatible. The sights themselves are available for cheap through many sources, and most will fit the dovetail until you find "the right" version, if that's possible. Or, as several posts indicate you can get a slot filler. Some are nearly impossible to install because they are slightly oversize, and you need to take a file to the filler, NOT THE DOVETAIL.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The flip up tang sight is actually a better sight than the barrel mounted open buckhorn .
Also it makes the rifle more valuable . My advice ...Keep the tang sight ... they were an optonal sight back in the day and knowledgeable rifleman put them to good use .
Do some shooting with it ...old eyes appreciate the peep and with the long distance between rear sight and front sight it will shoot as accurately as with a scope .
Don't trash a classic sighting set up just yet .
Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The flip up tang sight is actually a better sight than the barrel mounted open buckhorn .
Also it makes the rifle more valuable . My advice ...Keep the tang sight ... they were an optonal sight back in the day and knowledgeable rifleman put them to good use .
Do some shooting with it ...old eyes appreciate the peep and with the long distance between rear sight and front sight it will shoot as accurately as with a scope .
Don't trash a classic sighting set up just yet .
Gary
Very good advice. Thank you, I will shoot with it first.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
You have the very best sight ever put on a M94 and JUST the tang sight now sells for about five times what the whole gun did in 1912. I wouldn't mess with it.

Reactions: gwpercle
1 - 11 of 11 Posts