Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that Winchester Timber Carbines can be loaded to higher pressure levels than other lever actions. I have a Model 94 Timber Carbine in 444 and was wondering if this were true. If it is true can I load to higher pressures and higher velocities? Have loaded some pretty hot stuff in it to date and am seeing no problems.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I have a Timber Rifle and have had no problem with published maximum loads.
The max pressure for the .307 and .356 is supposed to be 52,000CUP. You will probably run out of powder space before you get into trouble with pressure, but why bother. No deer or black bear will know the differance between 2,200 or 2,300 fps with light bullets, and 1,900 or 2,000 with the heavies.
I have pushed the Lee 310 gr. bullet at 2,000 fps with under 2-1/4 inch accuracy at 100 yards (4x scope) I really can't ask for more.
I broke my redfield scope mount this weekend. Failed at the windage screws. I will replaced it with Weaver bases and Millet Angle Lock rings.

What are you using for powder ball or extruded?
If ball, does the fireball bother you?
What about jacketed bullets, have you used the Speer 270 gr. GD yet?
Will your rifle feed the wide Meplats with the bullets seated to the crimp groves?
What are you planning on using for sights?
What are you doing about the gosh awful noise and muzzle blast?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use H4198 and Reloader 7 almost exclusively now. Tried H335 and H322 but the accuracy was not too good. Even for a crappy shot like me. I have not shot any lead yet. Am planning on buying some lead after hunting season and working on some loads. I use the 265 gr Hornaday and the 225 Barnes. I also load the 240 remingtons. I have not tried the Speer. I'm pretty happy with the results from the jacketed bullets I'm using. As far as the noise and muzzle blast, I haven't noticed it while hunting and I use ear protection and glasses at the range.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I have pretty well settled on the two 4198's and Reloader 7 also. I will try Hodgdon 322 and Benchmark someday though.

I live in Texas and without starting a a fight... our deer are generaly on the small side. A good mature buck in my area is about 130 lb. does about 110 lb. on the hoof. Most are lighter.

I have had problems in the .356 with the 220 Speer not expanding. Theres just not enough resistance.
I have thought about the 265 Hornady for the .444 but figured that it was designed for heavier animals.
Thats why I am curious about the 270 Speer GD.

We jump up most of our deer in the "short ceader", areas where the brush has been chained and grown back up. The shooting is fast and the .356 works very well. So would others I'm sure.
Shots are not allways perfect and we still need penetration.
I like the accuracy I am getting with the bulk 240 gr. Remington JSP's and the 310 Lee cast bullet.

While the  .444 is easy to load for it is differnt from the .356.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, William:
  I'm thinking of picking up some 220 gr. Speers at the gunshow this weekend, but if they're too tough at .356 Winchester velocities, they aren't likely to work in a .35 Remington. 300 lb. bucks aren't out of the question here in Saskatchewan, but eating size deer are easier to find and shots can be long. Any more thoughts on them?

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My parents have a small ranch outside Leakey, Texas. so I am very familiar with the hunting and the deer. I really like the Barnes down there. They have worked great in the "Hill Country" on all the wild *** animals I see down there. Axis, Aoudad, Mouflon, Whitetail, Piggies, etceteras..........

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I have given a lot of thought to bullet selction also. Not an easy choice, there are so many good ones available.
I got a doe this weekend with the .356 and the Sierra 200 gr. bullet. The bullet struck a rib going in and a rib going out. The exit wound was large. The jacket was just under the skin on the off side.
I have found the Hornady 200 gr. a little tougher, that is the jacket tends to stay with the core. The Sierra and the bulk Rmeington 200's kill deer just as dead and seem to penetrate just as far.
For what it is worth I think the Sierra is just a little more accurate, couldnt prove it though.
the .35's shoot cast bullets so well that we really have no excuse to shoot jackted bullets.
The Speer 220's are accurate but as I said I think they are for bigger bodied animals than the average whitetail.
The .35 Rem. is making a small comeback around here, I have seen a number of them on our shooting range.

I would like to hear more about the Barnes bullets in the .35's. I have seen a number of deer taken with 6.5's and the Barnes X. They leave interesting exit wounds!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Regarding pressure, I have heard it said that Marlin did extra heat treatment to the receivers of their 1895M and 336 ER rifles.  Presumably, this was to accomodate the higher pressure of the 450 Marlin and 356 Winchester calibers.  Can someone tell me if this is indeed true?  And did Winchester do likewise, or did they accomodate additional pressure by "simply" beef-up the rear of the receivers on their big-bores?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't wish to change the subject but I was intrigued by the last post.
I have been looking for a 94 BB in .356 for about a year and a half and can't find one. I would gladly take a Marlin 336 instead. Is this currently available or is it history like the 94?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hydricman

According to the 1996 Winchester catalog the receivers on standard M94's are made of forged 1119 steel.  The receivers on the Big Bores are forged 1141 steel.

I would expect the heat treat is also different for the two different steels.  The barrel shank is larger on the Big Bores also.  I just measured a .375 Win barrel  Thursday.  Standard shank is 13/16" x 20TPI and the big bore is 7/8" by 28TPI.

Bigal,  Marlin no longer makes the .356 either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts