Shooters Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mudstud 
#1 ·
kay I just picked up a Winchester Model 70 Sporter Magnum 300win mag. On the side of the barrel it says "Winchester Model 70 Sporter Magnum 300 win mag" ... The problem is I can't find any information on a Sporter Magnum Model 70. Are these the same as a regular model 70 Sporter? Does anyone know the value of one of these? I would love to know more about it. Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
You got one of a dozen or more marked for a special jobber or series of shops. The only thing likely to be different is the roll stamp on the barrel, but it could have a foreend tip, or sling swivels, or some feature that set it apart. Fifty years from now a definitive book will be written, much like Madis did on early guns and there will probably be some dealer willing to give you $50K or so for it. Consider the price 50 years ago. We never know, but good guns always go up in value.

You can never pay too much for a gun. But you can buy it too early.

I didn't mean one of a dozen guns marked that way...it could be one model of a dozen or more specially marked guns for a specialty markets.

#5 ·
You did not mention whether your M70 was a CRF or Push Feed model. Pretty much, the push feed models, while still fine rifles, will never become collectors or particularly valuable no matter what is stamped on the barrel.

You bought it 'cause you liked it. Enjoy that rifle! :D

#6 ·
I can see this two ways. One, it is a push-feed Sporter, the later versions were not marked XTR. Should have a "G" prefix to the serial number. If so, it was made sometime between 1989 and 1994, and is a regular production item. Another possibility is that it is CRF, in which case it is a current production rifle, with a "35C" prefix to the serial number.

#7 · (Edited)
Gee, just look at the bolt and you'll know whether it is the SAKO style push feed or the Mauser style controlled feed...

And on this issue - the issue in fact has less to do with feeding and more with extraction. Funny how terms can be applied to say the opposite of what was meant to to be said.

On edit: I should have suggested for the OP to look at the bolt and see whether it is a push or controlled feed and then inform Mudstud and then Mudstud would know whether it was in current production or whether made between 1989 and 1994 and is a regular production item ... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.