Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with the performance of the Winchester 30-30 Silvertip ammo? I hadn't seen any in quite a while. but a local sporting goods store has a few boxes in stock. Do they offer good penetration? Is the general accuracy good? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
TIMBERWOLF

·
Banned
145 Posts
I checked some older Winchester ballistic tables and they list the 150 grain silvertip load with a muzzel velocity of 2390 fps(from a 24" bbl).  The silvertip has a good reputation for both expanding and giving adequate penetration on deer sized game.  It and the Remington corelock have been the standards by which most 30-30 loads have been judged for years.
The Silvertips did have an episode many years ago were they didn't get the thickness quite right on a batch of bullets and they didn't expand properly.  That tarnished their reputation somewhat for a while, but that error was corrected.  They should work fine for hunting as long as your gun shoots them well.  My particular 30-30 tends to group a bit better with the Remington Corelocks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sILVER TIP...MORE LIKE ALUMINUM ALLOY, THEY WORK ABOUT LIKE MOST 30 30 FACTORY OFFERINGS, SATISFACTORY TO GOOD ON INTENDED GME. LIKE DEER AND EASTERN BEARS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts