Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening to all,
I just ran into a surprising situation.  For over 15 years I have only shot Federal standard and Magnum pistol primers.  In the last couple of months I started using WW large pistol (for standard or magnum loads) primers to improve some loads.  It really did in a couple of cases.  

In some recent loading with 45 acp and 41 mag, I loaded up a couple hundred loads each with both Federal standard and WW primers.  The compared loads used new brass, the same bullet and the same powder charges.  The only difference was the primers.  The interesting thing is how much dirtier the WW primers left the primer pockets after only one reload.  It would be fair to say the WW primers left three times the residue in the primer pockets than the Federal primers did.  I have not had to clean a handgun ammo primer pocket (outside of the tumbler cleaning the brass) in many a year and now, with the WW primers I am cleaning the primer pockets.  

Have any of you noticed the same thing?  The WW primers have really helped my loads in a couple of cases but are adding the extra step of cleaning primer pockets.  Your thoughts.

God bless.....................  Bill M

·
Registered
130 Posts
Howdy Bill, I have been a win primer fan for awhile and while they do perform the best in the 454 using srp I have always used either 300 or 350s for the 44,45,475 and one day the local shop was slim on cci. I thought what the heck Give me 500 each of 150 and 155s. a little chrono work showed results that I liked with ES figures approx 15% lower with fed primers although with the same loads and velocity figures the fed primers show much more flattening over the win or cci primers in which is due to either thinner cups or softer ones perhaps both.  accuracy is a toss up though with cci or fed primers. I would like to run the test again because the temp was 25deg warmer when I ran the fed primer loads and given the way ball powders react to temps maybe things will equal out closer? anyhow as you stated if you get a plus in one area another may go negative. sometimes I think the dirty pockets are a result in how square the primer cup is to relation of pocket. As I have noticed with different lots but not sure if its more of cases fault? Thanks for sharing your findings. Jim.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts