Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a new levergun to go along with my 44 SBH. I load 240 grain bullets at about 1100 fps (medium) and will someday take delivery on some 290 bullets ordered from Beartooth last summer.

The Winchester has a faster twist than the Marlin. Does that mean it is likely to be more accurate than the Marlin with medium speed loads and 240 to 300 grain lead bullets?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
You may find that the Winchester is more accurate with heavy bullets because of the faster twist, although most people I have corresponded with seem to think the Marlin 44 is accurate enough. I would be highly interested in any responses to this thread myself, since I keep thinking about adding a 44 levergun to my stable.
Another factor is that the Marlin seems to be pretty picky about bullet length/shape when it comes to feeding. I took a dummy round with no primer or powder into my dealer to see if the 1894 would feed my SWC loads and it would not. So, I haven't gotten one yet! We'll see what this thread produces... IDShooter

·
Registered
100 Posts
On a friend's Marlin 44, when looking into the well lighted bore, you can easily see where the sight dovetail is cut and where the lettering on the outside is stamped. Looking into several Win. 94 barrels, I could not see any such thing. I suspect that the Marlins will benefit from lapping more than the Wins. The Marlin trigger is easily tuned for a great pull, but the Wins' cobby trigger is difficult to improve. Both of my Winchester 94s only do well with gas checked lead bullets, not plain based. The Winchesters will feed rounds loaded a good .15" longer than industry spec.
Take care,
Jeff

·
Registered
108 Posts
Marlin feeding

My 1894 CB feeds RNFP, 429421 Keith style swc, and a Hoch design that is an extended rnfp at 283 grains, all without a blink.
It also feeds PMC Cowboy 44 specials.
Humpty

·
Banned
65 Posts
I was out at the range yesterday with the kids and took my Winchester 94 in .44 Mag. I had never shot Blazers (240 gr. JHP) in it prior to yesterday and wanted to see how they would do. My last 4 shots cut one, albeit ragged, hole at 50 yards. The gun has always been accurate with my handloads, but only so-so with factory loads. I think I'll keep it a while longer and maybe buy some more Blazers.

I have a Marlin in .357 and it is very accurate with Jacketed bullets, but the micro-groove rifling doesn't seem to like cast/swaged bullets unless they are extremely hard (Lazercast), then it is okay.

I guess the best way to decide is to try and shoot each of the rifles in .44 Mag and get the one you like best.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Blazer Caution from Speer

I just found out that Speer DOES NOT recommend the use of their Blazer ammo in lever guns. On another posting, someone mentioned it and I called Speer to find out what the deal was. Their tech informed me that they do not recommend Blazer ammo in ANY lever-action gun due to the potential for case head separation in some older or looser guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts