Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this little sporter from my FFL today to finally be able to use a bolt rifle for deer hunting with my brother in Iowa.

First impressions out of the box. This is a DARN nice rifle for the $515 I paid for it, the stock looks great, it’s point-ability is on par with the best I’ve felt, the checkering on the stock is nice and sharp. As for the action, it feels very strong, but you can tell it’s a cheap action. Not because it catches, I can’t really explain it, it just feels really light and cheap. You guys will have to feel it to know what I’m talking about, but you can definitely tell the price difference between the XPR and the 70 from it.

I got this from Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore. I would’ve gotten it elsewhere but it was the only place selling a model with a wood stock AND the “titanium cerakote” (Looks like stainless but isn’t) which is my favorite look for a rifle. Obviously I’d prefer a real stainless barrel but what can I expect for such an affordable rifle with a beautiful wood stock? I’m not at all upset about that.

I went 350 legend because that’s what’s legal in Iowa, and I figured I’d do a lot of plinking with it since I bought 4 boxes of ammo from a hardware store for $60 total, so it’s relatively cheap to shoot compared to my 30-06 and magnums. And low recoil, so really a great practice gun.

I have the Talley Ring/base combo coming in a day or two, and I’ll be mounting an Athlon 1-6x24 Midas BTR on it, it’s got a 30mm tube. Really great scope for sub 300 yard shooting, which realistically is the furthest I’ll ever shoot this gun. If I’m shooting further I have my other rifles.

Would I have gotten a 350 legend if Iowa didn’t have a straight wall cartridge limitation? No. I would’ve went 35 whelen for the nice 35 cal hole in the deer and the perfect amount of oomph. But I don’t think I’ll have any complaints about the 350 legend other than the fact that I’m having a hard time finding dies to reload. But for how cheap it is to shoot, reloading shouldn’t be necessary. I just prefer to have the ability to make my own ammo in these times.

For the XPR as a platform, my only complaint so far (I’ll find flaws after I shoot it enough to have an opinion) is that the only magazines available for it are only 3 rounds. My M70 in 30-06 can hold 5 rounds and isn’t detachable. I’d complain less if they made a 5 or 10 round as well for when you target shoot, or if they went the M70 route with a hinged floorplate and double stack mag that holds 5 or so rounds. Especially when the 350 is such a small cartridge compared to the other rounds the XPR platform shoots, like the 300 win mag, 300 WSM, etc. I would also complain a little less if it came with 2 magazines. But it only comes with 1 magazine (despite them having sent reviewers for the XPR 2 mags.) But if you can find the magazines, they’re only about $20 each. Not dirt cheap, but not obscenely expensive either.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about this gun, the XPR platform, or the 350 legend and I’ll do my best to answer them. I’ll shoot it for the first time tomorrow when I get the scope mounted to it. I’ll probably upload more and better pictures later.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, shot the gun. Haven’t mounted a scope on it yet, just shot it for some break in and to see how it feels.

Handles amazing, feels very natural.

Early complaints:
1. the safety is sometimes hard to change to the fire position. Not sure why, but it seems to catch a little bit, and you have to re adjust your hand to do so, which in prone position can mess with your aim and then you have to re adjust your bipod to be back on target.
2. The 350 legend is a pleasure to shoot, but the butt pad is not near as soft as my winchester 70’s. If they use the same recoil pad on the magnum calibers, it might not be as pleasant to shoot as the one on the M70. Luckily it’s not a big deal to change out.
3. Went to lighten the trigger pull as it was set at 3.95 pounds from the factory according to my trigger weight device. No big deal since it’s adjustable. BUT, there was some sort of glue covering the adjustment screw, making it impossible to get the Allen key into the hole as it was covered in the glue. I managed to move it a little by pressing onto the glue and turning it and got it down to 3.6 pound. However I’m sure I could move it more if there wasn’t that glue over it. I want it down to the advertised 3 pounds it can go down to (supposedly)
4. The always on bolt lock on safe is just as annoying as I thought it would be. Sometimes I like to unload magazines by leaving the gun on safe and cycling it repeatedly, and having to press the button every time you cycle is just as annoying as it sounds. Not the end of the world since it’s only a 3 round mag, but I still prefer 3 position safety.

Might seem like I’m complaining a lot but I really love this rifle so far. Once I get a scope on it I’ll report how well it shoots. Just listing the bad since I haven’t heard anyone genuinely review it showing the XPR’s flaws yet.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Very nice looking rifle, Rifleman97, and, at a very nice price!

My latest acquisition was a Mossberg economy line bolt gun in 30-06sprg.. I think the current competition among the larger manufacturers are producing some really nice weapons at really attractive prices!

As to your choice of caliber,... how can you go wrong with a straight walled large bore caliber!!!

I have had a soft spot for my Marlin444 for almost two decades now, and, have had a hankering for a 45-90 Express for the past few years as well. My problem is, the Marlin444 does everything I want from it, with as little pain as possible:cool:, so why increase my numbers when I am really more interested lessening the herd! :unsure:

I think straight walled large calibers are addicting, I know I am! Good luck and have fun with your 350 Legend!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice looking rifle, Rifleman97, and, at a very nice price!

My latest acquisition was a Mossberg economy line bolt gun in 30-06sprg.. I think the current competition among the larger manufacturers are producing some really nice weapons at really attractive prices!

As to your choice of caliber,... how can you go wrong with a straight walled large bore caliber!!!

I have had a soft spot for my Marlin444 for almost two decades now, and, have had a hankering for a 45-90 Express for the past few years as well. My problem is, the Marlin444 does everything I want from it, with as little pain as possible:cool:, so why increase my numbers when I am really more interested lessening the herd! :unsure:

I think straight walled large calibers are addicting, I know I am! Good luck and have fun with your 350 Legend!
Thanks! I would’ve probably went 444 marlin if that was an option for the XPR, but what prevented me from going with a different rifle is just how damn nice this rifle looked. Plus it helps that my brother and sister that I hunt with all use 350 legend, so having shared ammo is nice. And $16 for 20 rounds doesn’t hurt!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Got it sighted in today. First shot was low and left. Adjusted the scope by just cranking it. Second shot I couldn’t see well through the scope so I shot again, saw it and adjusted by how many MOA it was at that range. Next 3 shots were dead on in the center. Then I proceeded to fire one shot at each of the corner targets to verify my zero. All shots were done prone with a bipod at 50 yards. Backed it out to 100 after that and it was shooting about .8-1 MOA 3 shot groups, pretty damn good for a straight walled cartridge with factory ammo.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Got'ta love it when plan comes together!!! (y)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good feedback on the XPRs, they seem like some dang good rifles for the price. Just wish they would offer higher capacity mags than 3.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good feedback on the XPRs, they seem like some dang good rifles for the price. Just wish they would offer higher capacity mags than 3.
Yeah. I’m glad it came with a 3 round instead of a 5 or 10 round stock, because it makes a really nice clean look for the gun. But I wish they had some aftermarket 10 round mags for target shooting. Even their “tactical” model (the Long Range) only comes with a 3 round mag. It wouldn’t be as big of a deal if there were 10 round mags available, by either Winchester themselves or aftermarket. Looking at the magazines they would be very simple to replicate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts