Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just picked up a .308 Remington 700 SPS and a Tasco Varmint 6X24. I am aware most people are down on "Trashco" but most reviews said it is a great scope... for its price. I have seen several reports of people using it on guns up to 300 win mag without trouble however when firing mine the windage likes to click back to the left a click per shot. Is anyone aware of a way to tighten the turret or is my only recourse to send it to Tasco for a replacement?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I hate to get on here an bash any company but Tasco is one I can make an exception for. As a former owner of a few Tascos, I can say without reservation, that they were the worst scopes I ever owned. They prove the adage, "you get what you pay for". Not only were the products of very poor quality, they didn't stand behind their lifetime warranty. I had one Tasco where the crosshairs turned with every shot. I had one where the POI would shift 4" when turning the AO from 50 to 100 yds. In that case they offered to correct the problem for $37 even though the scope was only a few weeks old. It was one of their World Class Scopes (what a joke for a name). They said they could replace something inside to bring it up a level. I asked about the warranty and they said the AO and parralax wasn't covered. What's the point of having AO if it doesn't work? I had a red dot where the top turret flew off while being used in a very big shoot. There is a reason why they went bankrupt. No warranty obligations after bankruptcy. I'd suggest you send it back and hope you get a replacement. Sell the replacement and buy anything else. Any other scope would be a step up.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
I hate to get on here an bash any company but Tasco is one I can make an exception for. As a former owner of a few Tascos, I can say without reservation, that they were the worst scopes I ever owned. They prove the adage, "you get what you pay for". Not only were the products of very poor quality, they didn't stand behind their lifetime warranty. I had one Tasco where the crosshairs turned with every shot. I had one where the POI would shift 4" when turning the AO from 50 to 100 yds. In that case they offered to correct the problem for $37 even though the scope was only a few weeks old. It was one of their World Class Scopes (what a joke for a name). They said they could replace something inside to bring it up a level. I asked about the warranty and they said the AO and parralax wasn't covered. What's the point of having AO if it doesn't work? I had a red dot where the top turret flew off while being used in a very big shoot. There is a reason why they went bankrupt. No warranty obligations after bankruptcy. I'd suggest you send it back and hope you get a replacement. Sell the replacement and buy anything else. Any other scope would be a step up.
I agree 100%. the only scope I've have worse luck with has been the cheepie Bushnells.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
My procedure when adjusting any scope, whether a $30 scope or a $1000 one -- turn the adjustment, then give the turret a few light taps using a loaded cartridge as your "hammer". This seems to seat the adjustment and usually cures the problem described. If it doesn't, it usually means the spring that holds the detent mechanism is too weak.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I'll throw the cheap Simmons scopes under the same bus. When you buy a scope that is good "for the money", you have to expect results that are also a compromise. Most of the scopes that receive unqualified positive reviews cost $200 and up; $300 would probably be a more realistic starting point. For someone to go out and spend one third or one fourth of that amount, expecting a product that is nearly as good, is well...a tad naive.

If a good steak dinner costs $40, would you expect a steak dinner that costs $10 or $13.50 to not be a little chewy? Of course not. Good glass costs good money...perhaps more so than just about anything else associated with the shooting sports.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
One more testimony to the fact that, in the end, I think you should just get rid of the Tasco. Don't throw any more good money at it. You will find a "good" scope is quite inexpensive if you divide the cost over the many years you will use it and enjoy its good optics and reliable adjustments.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I've got to agree Tasco and Simmons are just not worth the price...even though that price is low.

I've thrown them in the can more than once. The optics are fine for a low end scope...but the mechanicals are just terrible. this is not a new thing with Tasco, they were junk 30 years ago.

I've never understood why they just don't put $2 worth of material in them to make them OK.

They are not a bargain after you factor a few hundred rounds to find they don't work; nor after you miss the deer of a lifetime to find your scope off by 1 foot at 100 yards.

Overal, just not worth the low price.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,860 Posts
Still have a couple of Simmons Atec scopes bought years ago that perform flawlessly on centerfire rifles. Still though, agree with you get what you spend when buying optics.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The amazing thing is all the gun writer seem to only review the optics. and when I compare the Tasco and Simmons new scopes to my 50 year old Bosh and Lomb; the Tasco looks great. The Chinesse, Korean, Japan glass is really more quality than needed (but still nice stuff). adjustments and power rings bad. I've even had two, one bought, one on a rifle when I got it. Both got thrown (literally) into the garbage barrel.

The mechanicals on the low end scopes are just bad. the newer $25 Bushnell CF scopes can't take even a 22 mag over time. the Taso and Simmons are even worse and cost more.

I'm surprised that they have any reputation at all after all the years of poor quality.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Never tried any of the newer Tasco's but I would not give ya a penny for a Simmons.I have 2 BSA scopes that have worked well and are still going strong.That said, you do get what you pay for.I have mostly Leupolds and a couple Burris and now a Nikon all work well.My advice for newer shooters is save up your money and get a good quality scope.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Back around the late 80s early 90s I had four Tasco scopes on my rifles and I have to say I did not have a problem with any of them. I now shoot a Model called Hawke, don't know if you have them in the US or not, again I have not had a problem. All selling for about $450 over here. The suggestion to give ANY scope a tap with an empty shell case is not a bad idea. The guy who gave me that tip spent a lot of his early life killing cape buffalo and elephants, so I listened. The only pair of expensive binos I have , have been back to the factory in Austria, three times and eventually they sorted the problem(filling with water !!) . I didn't get a letter of apology. I purchased a fixed power 4x Leopold for my 458 Win Mag with a heavy reticule and after three shots the reticule blew to pieces. I sent it all the way back to the USA and received a new replacement by return with a very nice letter of apology. I agree cheap is cheap, but expensive is very often a rip off. You earns it and you decides how to spend it , I'm afraid.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
I purchased a fixed power 4x Leopold for my 458 Win Mag with a heavy reticule and after three shots the reticule blew to pieces. I sent it all the way back to the USA and received a new replacement by return with a very nice letter of apology. I agree cheap is cheap, but expensive is very often a rip off. You earns it and you decides how to spend it , I'm afraid.
I've never had an issue with getting top rate service from Leupold. If it's under warranty (they have a lifetime warranty) it's always been at no charge.

Had a Simmons go bad and they offered to upgrade the discontinued scope to an Atec for more money that I could have bought the same scope for on the 'net.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts