Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my order of Beartooth 300g WFNGC 44 mag bullets. I loaded up a batch and took them to the range for testing in my Marlin 1894, 16" bbl, 1:38 twist with AO ghost ring sights. The rifle had previously been sighted in to shoot 1.5" high at 50yds. with loads using the competitor's equivalent 300g LBT bullets about two months prior.

Winds were steady from about the 1 o'clock direction at about 25 mph, gusting to 40 mph. I knew that there was no way that there would be any meaningful groups but heck, it was warm and sunny so I stayed to shoot anyway.

My question is...

What groups I did shoot came in consistently 5" low at 50 yds. with these heavy (and stout) loads. I then tried, some rounds of the same loading using the other guy's bullets... same thing, about 5" low. Puzzled, since AO Sights don't ever shift, I then shot commercial 240g JHPs. Again, same result (maybe an inch lower still).

I know that strong winds will destroy groups because of its effect of bullet flight and because it blows the shooter around but have you ever heard of strong headwinds pushing bullets downward???

The rifle was fired from the bench on sand bags and velocities should have been around 1650fps.

What variables am I missing?

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the mystery will only be solved when I shoot again on a calm day. However...  I wonder if I may have been leaning into the bench or somehow holding the rifle differently because of the headwind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.