Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bunch of this Wolf 7.62x39 ammo for a new for me Mini-30. Like 2000 rounds. Well I took it out to the range and only about 25% of the ammo actually shoots the rest of it doesn't work. Anybody know why this happens, it was new when I bought the ammo and its 122 gr hollow point. Never had any kind of ammo do this before and I am kind of ticked because at 25% it now costs the same as remington ammo loaded in brass cases.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Are you getting dents on the primer? Did any of it fire the second time through the chamber or did you try that? Are you sure the bolt is closing fully?

My experience with Wolf steel-cased ammo has not been real positive.

Did you fire any other ammo to check the gun's function? If so, what were the results?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot remington ammo in a brass case and it functioned very well and cycled well and shot pretty good. The primers are being hit on the Wolf ammo. I never tried it a second time because I have a big thing about playing with dud ammo. A few would fire successively then a would get four to six that would not and a few more that would.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Mattsbox,
I've never encountered the problem you're talking about with this ammo. I don't much care for it, as the accuracy of the Wolf FMJ ammo in my SKS carbine just plain sucks, but it's always gone "bang" for me with no problems. It is possible that they use a harder primer than commercial ammunition to help prevent slam fires with cerain rifles, and that is your problem, but that's speculation on my part.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh crap thats what I thought. Now I got like 1200 rounds left. I think I'll pull the bullets and put 'em in a 30-06 semi auto I got and shoot em up. I think the cases are recyclable so thats not a problem good thing its only $.10 a round anyway.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Matt,
Keep in mind that the bullets will be .310 or .311 instead of .308, which is the standard .30 cal for the US. Find one of your buddies with an SKS or AK and burn the stuff up. Or, just take it back to where you bought it and tell them you want a refund.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arrggghhhh!!!!!!!!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Matt,

Two best options:

1. Sell ammo to friend w/SKS
2. Buy SKS, shoot ammo, sell SKS.

Sorry.....

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like #2. Maybe I can trade the Mini-30 for one, (or two):)
I don't really like the M30 anyway its quite heavy and not very accurate even with premium ammo. I know, you only gotta get close the rapid fire will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
141 Posts
"Rapid fire takes care of the rest." Famous words of someone who lost a gunfight. If they were still around to utter them.

The fire has to be accurate or it is nothing but noise.

Sorry to hear about the ammo not working though. I have never tried the 7.62x 39, but have had good luck with it out of a 9mm camp carbine.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've burned up a truck-load of the stuff in my VEPRII AK-47 and SKS rifles. Inaccurate, dirty, all around crappy ammo, but it has always gone "bang." Everyone needs an SKS or an AK-47, and with the Yugo SKS imports right now being extremely nice rifles with prices not too out of line, you owe yourself one of them. In that rifle if it doesn't go boom there has to be serious problems with the ammo. And forget about selling it after you burn up the ammo. You'll find that you have grown way to fond of the rifle to do that and will be more than content to buy more ammo to feed it.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only downside to the Mini 30 is that it needs the better ammo to shoot very well. The reason I got it was because the 7.62x39 is a pretty good round but it was extremely cheap, kind of like .22LR only louder. Oh well, I guess I can't have everything.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Call Ruger and ask about a stronger pin spring. If they don't have one order an extra pin and reduce the striking area...just don't make it into a point. Alternatively, a gunsmith can make you a stronger spring for about $20 is you put it in yourself.

Also, Bernaul makes excellent Russian ammo. Its a bit more than Wolf but it is HOT and accurate. Mine does 2475 fps from a 20 inch bbl.

·
Registered
64 Posts
From what I have heard, if you are using Wolf ammo in anything other than a Combloc firearm, your local gunsmith will love you. You will be in to see her:p for repairs before long. Broken extractors, etc.:mad:

That lacquered steel case works fine in weapons designed to use it, (read Combloc stuff) but is **** on wheels in other firearms.

Our local gun range will not even let you use it in their rental guns, except the Combloc production. Buy an AK or SKS, or make a friend with one real happy on his birthday. :D

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow you have a rental range. Thats crazy I would never let anyone borrow my guns, for any price. I have a good friend that is a gunsmith and he sold me the Mini-30 but didn't say anything about using specific ammo.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I hear you on loaning MY personal firearms! Wont happen!

The Range has quite a selection of handguns for rent. I guess the idea is for you to try several and buy new the one you like best.:)

It's in these handguns they restrict usage of the steel case ammo. This is the only indoor range in the area and they do a good business so they notice things like this.

The restriction on Wolf (and other) steel case stuff is fairly recent. When we talked, I was told they had a very high incidence of extractor breakage in the guns using the combloc ammo. I guess the shellac on the cases maybe gums up the chamber and the extractor has to work overtime to get the empty out. I don't really know for sure, as this is all anecdotal anyway.

How's your accuracy on that Mini 30? I have thought several times of maybe getting one of the Minis, maybe in .223 or possibly the 7.62 x 39, but they look a little rough and I am concerned they may shoot the way they look. My .30 Carbine needs companionship.:p

Regards,

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They do shoot pretty good and are quite lax on the cleaning after every shot that I have had with some guns, seriously. I shot through a couple hundred rounds of Remington brass case 7.62 ammo and that seemed to shoot pretty well. The gun is a little difficult to disassemble compared to other autoloaders. All in all a very good gun with acceptable accuracy and decent reliabilty minus the friggin wolf ammo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think I need to take a closer look at one of those. Probably in the Mini 30 as I have an AR 15 (223).

Have you got any favorite handloads worked up yet?:cool:

Regards,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts