Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. guys, I have a very good friend that beleives wolves only kill for food. I have tried to tell him otherwise. But I can't make him beleive it. Can anyone tell me of a book he can read of these killings, Just because they can.
I'm not trying to rain on his parade, but the facts are the facts. He also beleives that killing wolves just because there is a tag available is WRONG. I have tried to explain the numbers of Caribou and Moose that are killed each year, but he just will not beleive it.:(

Halfbreed

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Boy this is a hot topic up here. It has divided the hunting community and non-hunters like no other issue. There are some photos around on the web and stories of wolves killing moose, caribou, etc... and not consuming the kill. But, I'm not sure it is killing for the sake of killing. I think it may be more teaching pups and maintaining the skill levels for the actual hunts. Either way, the kills aren't consumed by the pack. They will, at times, kill more than they eat. Is it blood lust? I don't know, I doubt it is...

My personal take on wolves is that there are too many of them in some areas of the state up here and the ungulates are suffering because of it. I think the predators need to managed the same as any other animal, and there needs to be a balance. There are some areas of this state where they have completely decimated populations of moose. It's boom and bust if predators are left unchecked. I don't think we should kill them into extinction, but we do need to have a managed population.

As far as books or websites, I can't recall off the top of my head, but the Alaska Department of Fish and Game have some scientific studies and hard numbers and facts that led to the re-instating of land and shoot wolf hunting. The US Fish and Wildlife Service may also have some reports.

I have seen wolves eat a moose while it was still alive and have seen them pull the entrails of moose out then leave (the moose still alive but slowly dying). They are horrific killers.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A-338, Thanks for the reply. I also do not beleive in killing them into extinction. But a population control program would be good. I have seen some real video documentaries, But when they get archived they are done.

Halfbreed

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
John,

Pass this along to your friend:

http://www.natureswolves.com/

Not for the squeamish. The site was started by Tim Sundles, owner/operator of Buffalo Bore ammo. Tim doesn't much care for wolves, FYI.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike G, Thank you for the website. This will certainly make a beleiver of my friend, :(
Wolves and coyotes certainly have an important role in the scheme of cleaning up the carcasses and killing off the sick and dying animals.
BUT, they as any predator, need to have their numbers controlled. I have seen this kind of activity from coyotes first hand, but not from the wolves.

John

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Take the destruction of rabbit and quail populations by coyotes, then turn the coyotes into wolves and the rabbits and quail into moose, caribou, and sheep. That is about the playing field where large packs of wolves roam.

If anyone comes to Alaska to hunt any of the big game animals, do all of us that live here a favor - and those that plan to visit Alaska in the future, take a wolf if the opportunity presents itself.

I will admit that I do like to hear a wolf's howl, especially at night when the northern lights are out or when you are a million miles from nowhere. I also like to hear a pack of coyotes yipping while they are on the prowl. But their populations do need to be managed in numbers that allow their prey to continue to inhabit those areas in good numbers.

There are just barely a handful of animals that make the wilderness as wild as it is in our imaginations, bear and wolves are at the top of that list, so I really believe we do need them. That isn't a cheapshot at anyone who does not want wolves around their farms, families, livestock, or wants their populations kept in check, I want those things also. Tim Sundles has been very outspoken about his concerns, and I do believe those are valid. If I was in his position (or even as a voting member of his state) I would support his stance.

Just my .02 worth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts