·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to post this to remind people of gun safety even at gun shows. Can't be to careful.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Got me how it happened - you don't need a magazine or any shells in a handgun to demonstrate a Concealed Carry Holster.

Show clearly says no loaded guns...

Guy said he cycled the gun to clear rounds after each demo etc, so he was clearly using a handgun with a loaded magazine in it if he had to cycle it to clear any rounds.

Why take that risk... just don't put a magazine let alone one with round/s in it into the gun to demonstrate it, then there's no need to cycle it etc to clear any rounds after the previous demo.

Maybe I missed something obvious?.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
That was just plain stupid !!! Why not use dummy rounds and why do you even need a cartridge of any kind to show how a gun works with a holster ? That would be very sad if someone did indeed load the gun while he was busy doing other stuff, it would be better if each table had at least two people working there. Hope she's ok and recovers completely

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Based on the limited information in the article, my impressions are:

1) The vendor was demonstrating the use of a pistol in a wallet holster, and had done so about 20 times.

2) He stated he racked the slide to ensure the weapon was cleared before each demonstration. That makes sense given that he was probably demonstrating how the pistol is fired while still inside the holster (a common feature on some wallet holsters).

3) What most likely occurred is that a loaded magazine found it's way into the pistol (by the vendor, a customer, or maybe by malicious yard gnomes), and when the vendor racked the slide to "clear" the weapon he chambered a round from the loaded mag.

If that's the case, he was apparently looking for the lack of a round being ejected to indicate an unloaded weapon. He should have been observing the weapon to visually confirm the lack of a magazine (or a visible magazine follower indicating the magazine was empty) along with observing the chamber itself was empty and that no cartridges were present anywhere in the firearm.

Personally, If I were doing that demo and needed the magazine in the weapon due to a magazine safety, I'd first clear the weapon and confirm it is empty with the magazine removed, close the slide, then insert a known to be empty magazine. Magazines can be more fully observed to confirm empty status out of the gun, and then even if you put a loaded mag in my mistake, the slide is already closed so a loaded round won't find it's way into the action. You'd then drop the magazine out of the weapon before cycling the slide to re-cock and re-clear the weapon.

And of course in addition to all that he then failed to keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction while doing the demonstration.

If you're going to do dry fire demonstrations in a crowded location where there is no safe direction, get a 5 gallon bucket of sand and point the muzzle into that. Or for a pistol caliber, spend about $100 and get one of these:

It'll help cover Rule I, II, III and IV by backing up your assumption that the weapon is always loaded with meaningful action, giving a you something you would be willing to shoot (if an AD occurred), giving you a target to acquire before putting finger to trigger, and giving you a target/back stop for rounds that can be stopped by level IIIA material.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Regardless of all the very good advice regarding safety, this all boils down to someone who should have know better, pointing a gun at a human being and pulling the trigger. The only time you do that is when you intend to kill that human being. Extremely sloppy, dangerous, criminal handling of a firearm. I believe a charge of grievous bodily harm would be floating above his head in the UK for sure and he could say goodbye to any more demonstrations or handling of guns. Familiarity breads contempt all the time.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And gunshows are a great place to get swept especially when an aisle or two over .
If by "swept" you mean some boob aiming a gun in your direction to test the sights then your definitely right. Nothing like seeing one of those laser sights dance across your chest. :mad:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had some business in that town on Saturday and drove by the fairgrounds early in the afternoon. I am glad that I wasn't inside the building.

No matter whether someone put a live round in the chamber or not, the vendor has to take full responsibility because HE pointed the gun at the woman and HE pulled the trigger. Very unwise gun handling. The injured woman was reported to be doing very well and in fact she attended church on Sunday morning. Her wound was an in and out with no arteries or bones being hit, as per the local paper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts