• No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, a question for you guys.. when you disassemble and "seal" a new gun with a wood stock, what do you use to seal it? An oil, a varnish, or what? I just bought a Tikka T3x Hunter with a wood stock and thought I would do this. Thanks.
I use the formbys sealer. Never had an issue with it but I do apolitically it with a make up brush to get it in all the books and crannies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I find it interesting that the first thing you do, is to seal a stock against something, you don't think exists...

When I was still up in the mountains of Idaho, warped wood stocks were fairly common. When you went hunting, many times you walked/sat in the rain the majority of the day. Stocks got rubbed, bumped and nicked tromping through the deep woods, and inevitably the finish was scratched or gouged away in places.
That lets in the moisture, and depending on the wood state and how it gets dried; can have you waking up to a pretzel.

Cheers
Yes, but you said yourself that during a hard hunt, a rifle will get knocked around quite a bit. Maybe this knocked the scope off zero? I can happen...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
i've had one stock that swelled in the barrel channel. it was a remington mountain rifle m700? in '06 and this was the early to mid '90s. i was young and didn't care about the inside stock. i had the '06 about two years and i was going for another load when i saw it. i took her apart and found there was sealing, varnish, stain...on the inside. just a plain piece of wood that was unfinished. i took her to my gunsmith and he ordered a "plastic" stock. i had her for a couple of years and then i sold her. i think the swelling came from me taking her out for the next two and half weeks of deer season that was snowing and raining. all i did was wipe the steel off from a oily rag. ever after that, the stock was the first thing that i checked.

i would say two rifles, but i bought a 98 mauser sporterized in 8x57. the stock came from fajen or bishop and it was old. not scratched up and beaten, but you could tell the stock was old. i took the mauser apart to clean it and i looked at the inside of the stock. it looked like it sunk into the mariana trench for about 20-30 years and brought back up and put on 98 mauser. it was black and white mould on it. i threw the stock away and i got a richard's gunstock in wolverine black walnut grade a fancy. i am sanding it and after that is done, i'll go with lin-speed oil.

Reactions: Darkker
21 - 23 of 23 Posts