Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found while cleaning out my Dad’s basement. How old is this shotgun ammo box? Both ends, and both sides are marked the same and in similar condition. All the wood is good, but no lid for this box.

Also found over a dozen old pale blue beer bottles circa 1905-1925, of several midwest brands. Dirty, but undamaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really thought somebody here would know about when these were made.
Nailed, not dovetailed, so I would think 1900s...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Post WWII but before plastic hulls. So, 1950's-60's is my guess. Knowing the intro dates of the "new Remington crimp" & the "Wetproofed" paper hulls may give a closer estimate.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
HH, Sort of when I was thinking...

375Carp, I looked at that sites pictures too.

There is a lot less shotgun shell collecting information “out there” compared to metallic cartridge collecting information. I’m sure somebody somewhere knows details on wetproofing and crimp styles.
I have an uncle who used to reload shotgun shells, and he preferred certain brands for their crimp fold numbers.

After more trolling the interweb...
- Remington introduced their plastic shells in 1960. The “wetproofed” were the waxed paper shells folks my age and older grew up using.
- One shell box collecting site states the wooden cases, which held 20 boxes of 25 shells, were changed to cardboard cases in the early 1950s.

Still don’t know when nails replaced the dovetailed boxes, but I'm guessing this box is from about 1950.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Regardless it's a pretty cool box, I have a shot shell collection that would look really neat in it turned on it's side on my wall.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts