Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem is... I can't decide on what to get... I've always been a one-rifle kind of guy. I have more rifles right now than I've ever owned at any other time in my life.

What I have:
Browning A-Bolt .30-06
Remington M700 .270Win
Winchester M70 .270Win
T/C Encore Pro Hunter .260 Remington/.50cal muzzleloader
Another .50cal muzzleloader

I'd like to get a bolt action, that much I know. But I'm torn between a .22LR, .17HMR, or .223 for plinking at the range but also useful to hunt something. (Used to have a .22LR but it got stolen years ago and never replaced.) I don't think the .223 is a good squirrel gun ;) but I don't really like the idea of shooting a .17HMR up in the air (at squirrels in a tree), either. It'll go a long ways. However, the .223 would be pretty cheap to shoot and could be used for pests (coyote, hogs, or whatever else).

Or something else... The "something else" gets more complicated. First, I wouldn't mind having a lower-power whitetail rifle suitable to let an inexperienced friend borrow to hunt deer but it'd make me feel safer with them not using a .30-06 or .270Win for recoil reasons and because they shoot flat (a long ways), but would still be fun for me to use sometimes or maybe even my wife at the range (she is recoil sensitive).

Second, maybe something bigger than my .30-06 like a .338 WinMag, .35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 but I would like to try some of those out to make sure I wouldn't stop shooting them because of recoil. Something that would be good on elk and give me (even more) motivation to make a trip out west.

Gah... nothing like having the green light and not being able to make up my mind (or really justify) any particular caliber because I already have some *great* whitetail/hog rifles (pretty much all I hunt).

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I'd say your idea of expanding your battery upwards to a medium bore rifle is an excellent one. One of my favorite calibers is the .35 Whelen. It's not nearly as hard on the shoulder as most say or think, especially with Rem's factory 200gr loading. This load @ 2675 FPS recoils almost exactly like a 180gr/'06 does to my shoulder and is a hammer on deer sized game. It really hits hard and most of my harvests have been DIT and none has ever left my sight. You can find 200gr loads at up to 200 FPS faster, giving you better trajectory and on a par with an '06, as an example. I also own a 9.3x62 (CZ 550 FS), but have only had it for less than a year and have less experience with it. That rifle however is a real gem, IMO. Nicely done with a full length mannlicher stock, if you like that. Shooting 285gr loads, it recoils slightly more than my Whelens IMO, but the rifle is plenty heavy enough and has a fine recoil pad as well. In my opinion neither belts you anywhere near as hard as a .338WM, while able to give you very similar performance. I highly suggest you venture upwards into the medium bore range next, but I'd stop short of the cost (ammo) and recoil of a medium magnum rifle.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Shane, why not go against the grain now ? Go with a .22 WMR vs the .17 HMR. With V-Max bullets, the ole 22 mag is still a very much capable varmint getter, that people are forgetting about.

Then on the big side. I strongly suggest you look at the Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Win Mag. But ofcourse I would right ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree on the .22 mag. Sadly it is being overshadowed by newer "designer" rounds. I think it's a great varmint round to have.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I can't believe you don't have a .22! That is a serious situation that needs to be rectified immediately.

I recommend the Ruger 77/22 .22LR, .22 WMR, or .22 Hornet. I have them all just because I couldn't decide which one I wanted more. I like 'em all. :)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good suggestions so far... I used to have a .22LR (actually, a couple of them) but it got stolen and I never replaced it. Although, if I got a .22LR, it'd probably be a semi-auto.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Autos are fun, but a hyper accurate bolt gun will really make you smile...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Anschutz 64 MPR .22....your friends probably wont have one. Otherwise you cant beat a 10/22 or T/C Classic as an auto-loader.

·
Registered
79 Posts
338 Federal comes to mind as a medium bore. Seriously, this little round produces some great numbers! Here is another totally off the wall suggestion -

-- 338 Marlin:
- http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_marlin_express.htm
Even if you are not really all that interested in THIS chambering, I highly recommend you read this article. It has some solid information regarding recoil.

Now as for the .22lr thing, man not having a .22lr is kinda like missing your good right arm!! Although im not a huge fan, the Ruger 10/22 is one of the most customizable .22lr auto's around. They also usually shoot "minute of squirrel" quite well :)

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
338 Federal comes to mind as a medium bore. Seriously, this little round produces some great numbers! Here is another totally off the wall suggestion -

-- 338 Marlin:
- http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_marlin_express.htm
Even if you are not really all that interested in THIS chambering, I highly recommend you read this article. It has some solid information regarding recoil.

Now as for the .22lr thing, man not having a .22lr is kinda like missing your good right arm!! Although im not a huge fan, the Ruger 10/22 is one of the most customizable .22lr auto's around. They also usually shoot "minute of squirrel" quite well :)

Good Shooting,
Gary

I got into the first sentecne and closed it. I seen Jack O'Connor and that was enough for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ahh, yeah Jack has that polarizing type effect on some folks. The gist of it is, About 20 FT. Lbs. of recoil is approximately what the average person can handle with relative comfort. If you think about it, that is just about right. Now, I have shot a couple of my friends .375's both H&H and Ruger variety and they are NICE shooters, and they have a fair bit more than 20 ft. lbs. of recoil. But really that is a different TYPE of recoil, recoil thrust velocity is slower. So as long as you are standing up and shooting freehand, you move a lot with the shot, it does not 'hurt ya'.

So if ya want a Real Hammer, perhaps a Ruger Hawkeye Safari .375! Seriously, for about the first 10 shots it is pretty comfortable. After that most folks will find that their body has absorbed a lot more recoil than they realized, and you will start into involuntary shakes. Mild at first but by about 20+ rounds you will very much notice it! :)

Good Hunting,
Gary
P.S. recoil information, this time no Jack O' :)
-- http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

·
Banned
296 Posts
Youll have a lot of fun with a 17HMR (although many will try to steer you clear of them). You can snipe squirrels, rabbits, crows, possums and whatever else you consider to be pests (my favorite downed animal is a skunk that was sneakin his way out of my garden) and it wont make your wallet cry too bad in the process.

If you want a little larger gun for pest control you could look into a 22-250. Iv seen 22-250s in your area for around $500 (Remington SPS). They'll have a little more power than a 223 but the ammo is a little more pricey.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
diriel, thats why the boomers dont hurt me much. I'm such a small frame guy, my body rolls with recoil even from the bench.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would suggest a .22lr, because flat out everyone should own one, more specificly, the CZ 452, an extremely well made .22, and if you decide you would prefer the .17hmr, that gun is available in that as well. The gum may cost a little more, but it's a real quality gun, worth every penny, I love mine!

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
What I have:
Browning A-Bolt .30-06
Remington M700 .270Win
Winchester M70 .270Win
T/C Encore Pro Hunter .260 Remington/.50cal muzzleloader
Another .50cal muzzleloader
Good suggestions so far... I used to have a .22LR (actually, a couple of them) but it got stolen and I never replaced it. Although, if I got a .22LR, it'd probably be a semi-auto.
shane,

My first impression looking at what you have was: You need a 22LR!

PS: I too, prefer to hunt squirrels with an a semi-auto.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shane,

I would be lost without a .22lr personally :) But, you mentioned Loaner Gun for hunting. A .243 makes for a fine white tail hunter, and has reasonable recoil.

Good Shooting,
Gary

·
Registered
330 Posts
For just shoot'en fun hard to beat the 22LR, If you don't have a problem with ammo the 22mag really is a good number along with the .22 hornet which is just a hoot in an nice handling bolt gun.

great fun
GF

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Twas me, I'd get a .204 Ruger ...stainless, laminated stock...fun and low maintence .... and u'd have a huge smile on your face as you watched the squirrel blow up in the scope..... :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts