Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'll toss this out, but first let me say since I'm a moderator on the forum I'll excuse myself from eligibility for the prize.

I went mule deer hunting in Colorado with my father-in-law in 1995. He took me to a ranch where he had killed many deer in the 50's, 60's, and 70's but the hunting had gotten bad as it has in many parts of CO. I had never killed a deer of any kind so it didn't matter to me. I forget if the closest town was Meeker or Rifle, whichever is further north was the one closest to the ranch.

Since I was flying in, it was less of a hassle to just shoot one of his rifles rather than my .30-06. So I ended up with a .280 Rem, I'm pretty sure it was a Ruger 77. No chance to sight it in but one afternoon I did shoot a porcupine at 75 or 80 yards so figured it was pretty close as far as zero.

Anyway, for 3 or 4 days we hunted pretty hard and saw very little of anything. There were more elk than deer but we didn't have elk tags. Finally one afternoon he found me and described a group of deer, and said one of them had horns. Since we came in from out of state we just had buck tags. I hustled over to the area he told me to watch (ridge over a field) and sat down and waited. Soon, I could see 3 or 4 does in a bunch as they wandered into view, and one smaller deer following them. He described the deer following them as a buck.

However, I couldn't see any horns, even through a 10x scope. The deer drifted away from me, and I kept looking at them. Finally, I thought I saw a glint of sunlight off the head of the trailing deer. Fortunately, the area was pretty open so I could track them as they walked away.

I sat down, braced my elbows on my knees, and tightened up the sling. The deer would walk a little, then stop, and about hte time I got the rifle settled back down, they'd start walking away again.

Finally, as the deer quartered away to my left, I got the dot (it was a Leupold scope with a dot recticle) to settle down on the shoulder of the deer. With the angle of the deer, I figured there was no way I could hit the deer without causing a fatal wound - assuming it was properly sighted in.

Range... I have no idea, to this day. A LONG way, I can assure you. As the scope settled down, I started to squeeze the trigger. The shot broke, and there was quite a pause between the echo of the shot and the 'thwock!' of a bullet hitting. Deer dropped, flopped once or twice, and was still.

Found it with no trouble as it was lying out in the open - but as I walked up on it, didn't see a bit of horn!!! Oh #@$%!, I shot a doe and don't have a tag.... and when I pushed the ear back with my boot and saw an inch of horn on one side, well, you have never seen anyone happier about shooting a spike!

Shot placement.... well, here's the part about luck (bad luck for the deer). I held on the middle of the shoulder, and hit that deer perfectly in the middle of the neck! Centered from top to bottom and left to right, you could not have hit closer to the middle if you put the muzzle against the deer's hide. So the bullet hit high and left by a considerable amount. I can only guess that it was because I tightened up the sling (that gun has a pressure point in the forend of the stock).

Well, anyway, that's been by far my longest kill on anything. Frankly with the benefit of a little hunting experience, I don't think that I would even try the shot today. But it all worked out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I shot my first buck almost the exact same way. Thought it was a doe, till walked up to it and saw a quarter inch of antler stub sticking out of the fur. Hit mine in the middle of the throat too (by luck, the exact same as yours.). Except I was using a 12 ga with slug. (He somersaulted when it hit him buddy. It nearly cut the head clean off that little sucker. When me and my uncle skinned it we pulled the skin down, my uncle cut one dime- sized piece of meat and the head fell off.) The hole in the back of his neck was almost as big around as a coke can is tall. :D The fond memories.:D

:cool:Walter30-06

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've never seen a muley spike horn buck. All the youngsters around here sport forks their first year of growing antlers.
TR

·
36,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was about the most pathetic little rack you ever saw, spikes about 3 or 4 inches long. Gene pool needed a littel cleaning that day, I guess....

·
Banned
65 Posts
I needed a doe one year and was having trouble finding one in a place where I could shoot it.

Saw a bunch of them running full bore across a field I stepped out and they scattered every which way. It was a running shot at a broadside deer about 100 yards away. I missed with my .243 and hit the doe behind it that was running away.

It was what we call a Texas heart shot. The bullet went in the hole right under the tail and stopped in the heart.

I also shot one while it was bedded down with my 22-250. I felt a little guilty about it but it still tasted good.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
A 12 year old kid built a stand 40 ft up in a Willow tree. It was just a 2x4 wedged into the fork of a tree. At first light, he saw a big buck with some other deer about 600-700 yards off going the other way. Since the wind was blowing the tree back and forth, and the crosshairs were settling somewhere on the herd of deer, he pulled the trigger. But nothing fell.

About thirty minutes later, here came that big buck following a hot doe right under the tree he was sitting in, a 20 yard shot.

The buck had one front leg hanging by the skin, and still wanted to mate a doe. Now that's a Macho buck.

Since that kid was me, and that deer is still hanging on my wall today, I have developed much more patience for young hunters and their enthusiastic mistakes

I can't wait for season to start
Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I was logged in until I carefully typed up and posted a reply, then, as usually happens, the reply went out the window somewhere and I was informed I wasn't logged in. That is a bunch of nonsense, and I believe I will quit wasting my time.
John.

·
36,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John,

If you don't have cookies enabled, this will happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts