Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the .44 magnum is a good solid round and is responsible for taking some rather large game, but I'm wondering...would the .45 L.C. in (the Winchester model 94 for instance) , and if loaded with the "heavy" rounds such as Cor-bon, Buffalo Bore, and Garrett work well on deer sized game? If so, which loads are recommended and what are the "ideal" distances?

Thanks and high regards,
Timberwolf

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Oh my yes... especially at rifle velocities.

The .45 Colt with 300 grain bullets will go through hogs lengthwise... from handguns!  Been there, done that.  And these weren't very fast loads either, probably 1050 - 1100fps.

Rifle should yield 250-300fps increase in velocity, depending on barrel length.

What the 'max' range is, I don't know, but I'd be pretty comfortable if the velocity was still over 1,000fps at impact, maybe a little less, and you could put the bullet where it belonged.

Yes this should be good for anything in North America that doesn't have 'grizzly' or 'brown bear' as part of the name.

·
Registered
27 Posts
keeping vampire hours here...

the .45 colt works fine on whitetails, even with the load i use which is only a maximum of 10.0 grs unique and a 260 gr keith fired out of a 4 5/8" blackhawk. haven't had to shoot one twice yet with that combination and they expire fast. linebaugh says that a 260 keith at 900 fps will completely penetrate a whitetail at 90 yards or so and i believe him although i haven't tried it quite that slow. also i've known several people here in texas who have used a light loaded .44 special, .45 acp, the federal 225 gr .45 colt factory load (i used that one once myself and it was one shot in the neck at about 20 yards, deer dead on the spot, no expansion of the bullet though), and even one guy who has used a .38 special hydra shok fired out of a 3" s&w model 60.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
The .45 Colt carbine is most definitely an excellent whitetail and black bear proposition out to about 100 yards. If handloads are used I'd suggest something like the Beartooth 255-grain WFN or 285-grain LMN backed by 2400, AA#9, or H110/Win296. As far as factory loads go, Randy Garrett doesn't make .45 Colts and Buffalo Bore's prices are simply outrageous and would be overkill for your purposes anyhow. That leaves Cor-Bon and their 265-grain JSP load should work well for deer and blackies.

·
36,229 Posts
Chief,

Sorry to point out but your math skills are lacking!

0.452" - 0.432" (diameters of the bullets I shoot in my guns) = 0.020"!!!

I'm just teasing ya... they're both fun.  No I don't want to see another 10-page run on the .44 mag vs. .45 colt!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Say fellows have you noticed that 45 Colt shooters just seem to walk through the rain without getting wet because they can walk between the drops and the 44 mag guys......well..... they are a bit wet?
I use 20 grains of H110 behind a 300 grain cast, gas checked Saeco in my Rossi mod 92 clone and my 45 Colt Anaconda. Powerful medicine for what it happens to hit ,in either case.
Jim

·
36,229 Posts
Sometimes I sink clear down to my ankles... LOL... good one Jim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts