Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are those who have said they would never own one of the new Winchesters made by Miroku even though they have been making rifles and shotguns for Winchester, Browning, Charles Daily, etc. for years. Their quality is right up there with some of the best. Original Winchesters today as exquisite as some of the new Miroku Winchesters would be in the five-figure price range.

I also know much is often said about the tang safety, which by the way would be there no matter who was making the rifle. It is much better looking than the recessed cross-bolt safety of previous years. Yes, it would be nice if they would have stayed with the hammer first click safety, but everybody changed, not just Winchester. I am one that would prefer they did not have the safety but that being said it is not a deal breaker for me. I currently own six of the new Miroku Winchesters and I find they are of excellent quality and very accurate shooters.

Here is an eye candy photo of four of my favorite lever action rifles.

Wood Knife Blade Natural material Hardwood

Air gun Wood Shotgun Gun barrel Trigger

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I have three Miroku/Winchester rifles, an 1886, an 1885 High Wall, and an 1885 Low Wall. All three have been to Turnbull for CCH and the 1886 had the safety removed and filled in. The internal parts were replaced also. You can’t tell there ever was a safety there. FWIW, they are all outstanding shooters. The quality of Miroku guns is second to none.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Absolutely yes!! I have a very early Miroku built Winchester 1886 Takedown. It is stamped USRA so it was made before production ceased in New Haven in 2006. From what I can tell when looking up how to decipher the serial number, mine was the 17th unit to leave the line, ever...about 1997 or 1998?? So far it's the only Miroku/Winchester I own and it is exquisite. It's also a great shooter, I was able to shoot the second tightest group at 100yds with open sights I've ever accomplished with it, only being bested by my Sporterized Springfield '03 with a Redfield rear aperture, and it didn't beat it by much.

Kind of coincidental you mention Turnbull NSB, I just got word from Turnbull today that my '86 is ready to be picked up. I'm planning to go get it tomorrow as long as they aren't closed due to the snow storm thats on NYS right now. I live about two hours from their shop. I had them do the CCH to all the usual parts, rust blue the barrel and mag, charcoal blue the small bits, Winchester "F" pattern checkering, delete the tang safety and ream the chamber to 45-90 WCF. I can't wait to see it! I dropped it off with them in mid June.

I asked them to quote me the price of building a second Takedown front half in 50-110 WCF, but I just wasn't able to save enough for it in the timeframe I had. The 50-110 front half alone was quoted at $5500. I'm not insulted by that price, their work is second to none, just couldn't swing it this trip. I may yet get it done in the future though.

Back to Miroku, I've fondled a couple of Miroku/Winchester 1892 at my LGS and didn't find fault with them at all. I would have bought one but I wasn't in the position to be able to at the time. I'd like to get one of Turnbull's new 1892 Deluxe Takedown at some point, preferably a Trapper if they offer it.

I know some people can't get over a Winchester being made in Japan, but they are superb in quality and missing out IMO. When you look at the outright insane market on Marlins, which have historically always been significantly cheaper than their Winchester counterparts, these new Miroku rifles seem like money better spent, and in most cases, LESS money spent. Why anyone would pay $2500 or more for an SBL when you can get an 1886 Deluxe for $2000 is far beyond my ability to comprehend.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Red, love the gun and the wood pile. Looks like my front yard in August.
Yes, I would put the Miroku guns right up there in fit, finish and quality. I would prefer an old, original untouched Winny, but if going new , I would have no problem with the Miroku.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I had a Miroku M92 short rifle on back order for over a yr and finally bought a Rossi 92 in 357.
Not even close to the craftsmanship of the Winny though. But then again I don't get nervous about putting it in the gun rack of the truck or ATV.

·
Registered
104 Posts
veeman, not quite sure I fully understand your response since both of your 1886 rifles are made by Miroku as I am certain you are aware. I am old so a bit slow.
;) :)
To explain my meaning, I don't need any more of them, as I already have them, without the lawyer goodies. My Brownings are wonderful rifles, smooth, accurate. The wood is about as boring as it can get, but who thinks of that when lining up the sights for a shot?
Thats what I mean by not need to buy current Miroku gun's. No offense meant.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
The 1886 Win/Miroku safety after Turnbull worked on the gun. Can’t tell it was ever there. Note Skinner sight CCH by Turnbull also.
View attachment 103882
Here are three 5 shot groups fired at a friends place. He wanted to see and shoot my 1885 Win/Miroku. I took some “odds and ends” ammo I had loaded and tried in the past that I had laying around, and five rounds of my current pet deer hunting load. The 45-70 is the easiest round I’ve ever found to load for, it likes everything you put down the tube. These are not “wallet groups”, just groups shot at his place that day.
Font Art Circle Pattern Illustration

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To explain my meaning, I don't need any more of them, as I already have them, without the lawyer goodies. My Brownings are wonderful rifles, smooth, accurate. The wood is about as boring as it can get, but who thinks of that when lining up the sights for a shot?
Thats what I mean by not need to buy current Miroku gun's. No offense meant.
veeman, no offense taken. I thought your response was tong and cheek because I knew you knew your rifles were Miroku guns. Like I said I am old and slow.:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hate to be negative, but for me anyway, I would not have done that much, if any, checkering to that finely figured wood. I do love that CCH tho. I am most happy that you are happy with the end results tho, and that's whats important. Can't please everyone! Now, the important part. how does it shoot??

1 - 20 of 95 Posts