• No

Votes: 24 38.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"A rare white moose has been killed in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, angering conservationists and the Mi'kmaq First Nation, who hold white animals as being sacred. First Nations hunters say they had known about the white moose for years but had refused to kill it. "We are not to harm them in any way, shape, or form because they could be one of our ancestors coming to remind us of something significant that's going to happen within our communities." Mi'kmaq hunter Danny Paul told the CBC.
Pictures of the kill were posted on the Facebook page of Nova Scotia's Hnatiuk's Hunting & Fishing on Oct. 4, and commenters were furious. Once they realized the significance of the white moose, the staffers at the hunt shop have reportedly been very apologetic and respectful, conserving the moose's hide for the First Nations. The white moose hide will be specially prepared for a ceremony "to bring a peaceful closure and honor the Spirit of the Sacred Moose," Chief Bob Gloade of the Millbrook First Nation wrote to the hunt shop. The next step, he said, is educating people so this doesn't happen again."

Sacred white moose killed in Cape Breton, angering First Nations

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I assume it was killed legally on land that the hunter had rights to or permission to hunt upon.

"they could be one of our ancestors" moose droppings to this.

I say that my religious belief is that "white animals are the tools of the devil and bring bad things to good people; and the Lord requires me to kill them and send their spirits to hades".

So it is my religious belief that is stronger and correct!

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Somebody's always getting mad over something, ain't they? Difficult to tell from that picture for sure, but I'm going to guess that it is an albino with pink eyes. As such, any biologist will tell you (or anyone else) that albinism is a recessive trait in wild animals and is not a great trait to have for any wild animal. That said, some states bow to the unknowing public's opinion and enact laws against hunters killing albino animals. Whether I would kill such an animal would depend on several factors, all personal. There is no good reason not to harvest such animals where legal. For someone who has never set foot into anything more wild than their back yard to look at a picture and decide that the animal is too "pretty" to harvest and then encourage their state's game managers to prevent such harvests is idiotic to the extreme.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't like moose meat and can't eat antlers, so no. It has nothing to do with it being white, though. If I had a reason to shoot a moose, that one would be as good as any.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would have passed just because it is so special. I was lucky to see a black/dark blue deer one fall while Quail hunting. I think that color variation is much rarer than an albino color. I also saw a Grey Brown Bear in Alaska. The grey color of Brown Bear are not common especially in mature bears. This bear was never reported as being killed.

Frank

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have caught white pink eyed catfish. They tasted like..............catfish. I once saw a coal black fox squirrel on the LSU campus eating crepe myrtle flowers. Big deal.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If legally harvest, good hunting to the hunter. If shot in a pen, then no. If some passes up a 8 pt buck because they want a bigger one, then don't complain when another hunter shoots that 8.

CD

·
Registered
472 Posts
Was it killed on tribal lands? If not then I'd tell them to P... OFF!!! :mad:

I'm SICK AND TIRED of being TOLD what to do and how to feel by other groups who wear their hearts on their sleeves. If they want us to respect THEIR beliefs then it's high danged time they respect OURS!

I'd pay for a FULL BODY MOUNT and then GLADLY display it in MY trophy room. IF and I DO mean IF the tribal leaders were really nice I would let them visit it on occasion but NO WAY would I let them get their hands on it. He'll NEVER see it again if he lets them get ahold of it! :eek:

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
It's looks small for an adult bull moose. Was it a runt as well as an albino?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have caught white pink eyed catfish. They tasted like..............catfish. I once saw a coal black fox squirrel on the LSU campus eating crepe myrtle flowers. Big deal.

We have coal black squirrels-not fox squirrel.

MI used to protect white and piebald deer. Now you are encuraged to harvets-bad genes..

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I don't think I would ever want to shoot a moose but if I wanted a moose I would not care what color it was. I would eat any moose meal that was offered me.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I assume it was killed legally on land that the hunter had rights to or permission to hunt upon.

"they could be one of our ancestors" moose droppings to this.

I say that my religious belief is that "white animals are the tools of the devil and bring bad things to good people; and the Lord requires me to kill them and send their spirits to hades".

So it is my religious belief that is stronger and correct!
The problem with your analogy is that their beliefs are genuine, while beliefs like the one you just made up are not. That's logic the average 10 year old can grasp.

There's always room for a little civility, even in folks who can't seem to get the concept cultural sensitivity. And even if you don't agree with the concept of civility, there's always plenty of opportunity to just stay quiet.

After all it's always better to be suspected of being a jerk than to open your mouth and remove all doubt about it.

-----

Now here's how the thread will go from this point on:

1) I'll get flamed for expressing a moderate, mature, adult, non right wing extremist point of view,
2) the poll will continue to develop with about 1/3rd in favor of "not shooting" - suggesting that it's not a majority opinion, but still a valid one,
3) There will be few posts supporting mine, but a lot of PMs expressing agreement and a lamenting that they'd post too, except they don't want to get flamed by the extremists.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it develops differently, but the real joy of middle age is that you've been around long enough not to really give two cents about what the "herd" thinks, and feel no real need to impress anyone - especially the "herd".

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
But what if a landowner put that photo up on a large billboard advertising a 2-tag draw for the last two remaining albino moose in the world. Wouldn;t there be a hunter's frenzy in applying?

"Only $50 to draw! Increase your odds with the purchase of as many draw tickets as you like!"

Now.... how about that?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But what if a landowner put that photo up on a large billboard advertising a 2-tag draw for the last two remaining albino moose in the world. Wouldn;t there be a hunter's frenzy in applying?

"Only $50 to draw! Increase your odds with the purchase of as many draw tickets as you like!"

Now.... how about that?
I would have a hard time paying $50 for a chance to eat a genetic mutant. :D

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Me too. But the joke's in the "...last two remaining...". ((:)D)))

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
It's looks small for an adult bull moose. Was it a runt as well as an albino?
Strange you should ask that question but, over a number of years and dead white/albino deer, I have always found them to be somewhat smaller than I would expect in normal circumstances.
To answer the original question. My answer would be BANG!!!!! THUNK!!!! ... brrr brrr brrr click .."Hi pal , it's me; any chance your free to just help out with this here small deer I've shot?" " Just a short drag to the truck and the winch" .... "errr ??? well yes I suppose I can spare a small piece of loin" "Cheers, pal. See you in half an hour by the gate"

Hmmmm thinks ???? " Lets look at the pelt and see if I can't sell a few squares for fly tying as well and donate the proceeds to the First Nation

1 - 20 of 23 Posts