Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just back from what I believe was my 10th gift hunt for a deserving veteran. Our guest this time was another fine young American hero. He's an Army Ranger who'd been badly wounded and is on the road to recovery. A couple more sugeries are scheduled and he's figuring about one more year active until his medical retirement. He drove down from central Virginia to join us in Georgia for the hog hunt. This was not our most successful gift hunt, but that's what happens when you couple unpredictable February weather with free ranging hogs sometimes, I reckon.

The hunting conditions were pretty awful with rain most of the 4 days we hunted. Our guest hunted every day, which is more than i can say for the rest of us...lol. He actually spent the entire night in a nice enclosed elevated box blind trying to catch any hog that might venture out during the stormy night. But, it just wasn't meant to be. Only one hog was taken on our trip. a nice 150 pound boar by my good friend Don who travels down from Wisconsin every year to join me on this special hunt. Two more good friends came to make us a group of 5 hunters. Bob from Florida and Marc, who I originally met as he was working as a guide several years ago at the place we hunt.

As is our tradition, we surprised our guest with a brand new rifle as a surprise gift on the first night in camp. The gift rifle this year was a Sako A7 in 30/06 topped with a Leupold VX Freedom 30mm 3-9x40 with Firedot Duplex reticle. I also had 4-5 boxes of ammo for him to try and use on the hunt. I believe that the load he used was a new Federal load with a 175gr bullet. He also shot some 150s and 165s, but the 175s printed very well. He absolutely loved the rifle and scope! There was also a very nice Buck knife for our guest, donated by a very gracious member of our forum here. I also gave everyone some hunting clothing, which they put to good use in the wet, cool weather we had.

Some pictures from the hunt showing out guest with his gift rifle and knife, my Buddy Bob with the rifle I gave him, the crew at dinner and our guest sighting in his new Sako. While the coolers mostly rode home empty, everyone enjoyed the fellowship, comraderie and fun that a hunting trip with friends in a comfortable cabin can provide. The reservations are already in place for next years gift hunt!!

thumbnail-46.jpeg thumbnail-44.jpeg thumbnail-45.jpeg thumbnail-48.jpeg thumbnail-43.jpeg thumbnail-49.jpeg thumbnail-50.jpeg thumbnail-51.jpeg

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A couple pictures of our "cozy" cabin. The cabin actually can sleep up to 12 and has two full baths, 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, and dining area. The owner has become a good friend of mine and allows us the entire camp (including trailers) for our 5 night stay. They had a group of 12-13 rolling in the day we left.

0f5dece6-cddd-40da-bfb1-dea9decf1ed9.jpg 09c026cf-4fa6-44c6-9b99-03c67b727018-2.jpg 4bb6c445-8837-4a59-b9ee-6015898a6762.jpg 7cbbde16-63f3-4651-b6b6-ac0b5bda8ed0.jpg 07627ced-5c86-4cf2-9641-1e43ee1dca97.jpg 7d776b09-88fc-4e79-9624-209bc397daa6.jpg 3f14213a-1c36-4327-bb64-9da9dfa5ac9b.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,198 Posts
We should have a special 'like' for such deeds and post. Thank you, Tnhunter!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
"Awesome" What a fine thank you for these young men and what they have done.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,837 Posts
Thank you and your group in showing these fine young persons they are greatly appreciated.

The pic with the 2 man crosscut saw on the wall brought back memories of my very young youth when my older brother and I had to use one to buck up dead snags for stove wood for the house. Yellow pine burns hot, but quick. Takes a lot to keep the kindling and wood box full.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
What a great thing you are doing for these heroes! Keep up the fantastic work. Bless you! Great pics too!

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
A Great American helping other Great Americans. Love your posts about these hunts, Ed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts