Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted before about my daughter's Vangaurd Compact .308 Win printing honest-to-goodness 1/4" 3-shot groups at 100 yards with regularity.

Thursday morning I took my sister's new Vanguard .300 Win Mag to the range on my way to work. Wanted to see how it shot. It put 3 Federal Power Shok 180 grainers into a .550" group!!! :eek: I'm impressed.

The Weatherby/Howa has got to be one of, if not the best value in rifles going.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I bought a Howa 1500 youth model in .308 for my boys last year. It came with a 20" barrel and both a standard and -1" Hogue overmolded stock. I have been carrying it in the woods this year with the youth stock left on. What a handy little gun! Oh BTW, it shoots great and the action is like silk. They do know how to build'em at Howa Machinery Limited! I am going to miss that gun in a year or two when the boys start hunting. I wish I could find another barrled action somewhere at a good price for that other stock.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a Howa 1500 youth model in .308 for my boys last year. It came with a 20" barrel and both a standard and -1" Hogue overmolded stock.
Same exact set as my kid's except hers is stamped "Weatherby Vanguard Compact" Yep.

Wish they'd make that rifle with an adult sized stock in .358 Win and .284 Win. :(

I'd own one of each. :D

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Same exact set as my kid's except hers is stamped "Weatherby Vanguard Compact" Yep.

Wish they'd make that rifle with an adult sized stock in .358 Win and .284 Win. :(

I'd own one of each. :D
Yeah or maybe .338 Federal. I am 5'9". The youth stock is a touch too short for a lot of shooting, but for hunting (where you typically shoot once) I love it with the youth stock left on. Very handy in a stand, vehicle, or to carry.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard

BD II, if you like the .338 Federal, check out the Ruger compact. Mine's shooting cloverleafs.

Weatherby Vanguards have typically been very accurate and a great deal for the money.:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yeah or maybe .338 Federal. I am 5'9". The youth stock is a touch too short for a lot of shooting, but for hunting (where you typically shoot once) I love it with the youth stock left on. Very handy in a stand, vehicle, or to carry.
i'm verticaly challenged as well standing an impressive 5'-6", i cut down a lamanate stock for my kids to use on the Ruger (see my avtar photo) M77 Mark II .243. well let me tell you, when huning the late winter doe season and the temps are down where you get all bundled up, that stock is about perfect for me. i used it three years ago after i had 4 disk fused in my neck two months earlier and did not want to shoot my 7mm rem mag. with all the clothes and jackets on i found that rifle quick to point and perfect on eye releif.
i now have all my stocks cut back a little from factory length to fit me better. sure makes getting on target easier. yea i get a lot of ribbing from my buddies when they see the shorter stocks, then i rib them when they see how well i shoot! :p

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
BD II, if you like the .338 Federal, check out the Ruger compact. Mine's shooting cloverleafs.

Weatherby Vanguards have typically been very accurate and a great deal for the money.:)
Yeah cept the last time I checked, the Howa was selling for around $450, the Ruger for $700. And since I own both a M77 and a 1500 (and like em both), I promise you the Ruger is not worth $250 more. Plus I like the Hogue stock more than the Ruger laminated one.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard

Couldn't disagree with you there, BD II. I picked up my Ruger for $450 and have been tickled with it's performance for a short, light-weight weapon. I love the Vanguard, though. Gave my godson a Vanguard in .270 Win and it sure does shoot.:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I love my ***ahem*** Howa 1500 in .257wby, that thing is a lightning bolt little round:D

Yeah, the Vanguard is a nice little Weatherby number. Good stuff.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've posted before about my daughter's Vangaurd Compact .308 Win printing honest-to-goodness 1/4" 3-shot groups at 100 yards with regularity.

Thursday morning I took my sister's new Vanguard .300 Win Mag to the range on my way to work. Wanted to see how it shot. It put 3 Federal Power Shok 180 grainers into a .550" group!!! :eek: I'm impressed.

The Weatherby/Howa has got to be one of, if not the best value in rifles going.
Sounds like you found a couple of good Howas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've also got the Howa compact in .308 and love it. I also have the Vanguard in .223. The triggers out of the box were excellent on both these rifles. The .223 is a tack driver, my son thinks it's boringly accurate. The .308 has been a bit more finickey about it's loads. I was fairly impressed with these rifles, and have to say they're at the top of my list for budget/quality rifles.
Shootmup

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I've also got the Howa compact in .308 and love it. I also have the Vanguard in .223. The triggers out of the box were excellent on both these rifles. The .223 is a tack driver, my son thinks it's boringly accurate. The .308 has been a bit more finickey about it's loads. I was fairly impressed with these rifles, and have to say they're at the top of my list for budget/quality rifles.
Shootmup
Ditto on the budget/quality comment. Other than group size (the Savage does shoot OK) there is zero comparison at all between my $275 Edge and $450 Howa compact in quality. You do get what you pay for. Oh well, each will serve a purpose in the family. I will say my Stevens 200 (with its new Hogue stock) does compare very favorable with the Howa.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Another great shooting vanguard. I have one in 300 wby that shoots .50" at 100 yds. Cant complain. Great rifles for the money. A little on the heavy side though.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I saw a nice new Vanguard yesterday in 7 Rem Mag for $475. I don't need another 7 Mag or it would have been bought. I like the Hogue Howas more though. Much better feeling stock and the barrels are floated better.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw a nice new Vanguard yesterday in 7 Rem Mag for $475. I don't need another 7 Mag or it would have been bought. I like the Hogue Howas more though. Much better feeling stock and the barrels are floated better.
Now there's a head-scratcher on my Sis's .300 Win Mag. The barrel is fully contacting the fore-end.............not floated at all. An it still shoots 1/2" !!!!!! My curiosity says to float the barrel and see how it shoots. My common sense says "don't do it, fool!!"

·
Registered
571 Posts
Now there's a head-scratcher on my Sis's .300 Win Mag. The barrel is fully contacting the fore-end.............not floated at all. An it still shoots 1/2" !!!!!! My curiosity says to float the barrel and see how it shoots. My common sense says "don't do it, fool!!"
Some barrels benefit from the little fore-end button. If it's shooting that good, dont you dare remove it. LOL

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,222 Posts
I might buy one if somewhere on them they said "MADE IN THE USA"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RJ

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I might buy one if somewhere on them they said "MADE IN THE USA"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RJ
I agree it would be nice if it did say that.

But I'm beyond trying to fight the imported goods fight. Otherwise I'd be sitting here in my underbritches (Fruit-of-the-Loom T-shirt from El Salvador and Wrangler shorts from Mexico) on the floor (chair from China) in front of nothing (computer from Taiwan, computer desk from Mexico). It's futile. :(

I'd have to give up my Browning BPS and my wife's A-Bolt, my A-Bolt, my Super X2, My Remington Model 5, all my Glocks, my Stoeger SxS, the kids' Vanguards, the wife's Sako, my Select Energy Sporting............... you get the picture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts