Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen
 Tried to post this earlier but the post burped and dumped. So lets try this again. Using the earlier posted data for Freedom Arms 454 using WW540 powder I decided to work up some loads for  my  SRH 454 . Though this was the first loading  it will not be the last, even though I didn’t get the results I was hoping for. Since I’m always looking for a better way to make my 454 perform with out getting beat to death doing it, this looked like another way to get  a medium performance load that would serve as an plinker as well as a game getter. Accuracy was poor with all these loads-I think the shooter had a bad day.

Revolver: SRH 7 ½” Barrel , scoped . 40 yds Wind -light  Group - not going to say!!!

Data:  16.0grs WW540, Hornandy Brass, 255 gr SWC, CCI SR Primer
          Recoil- Moderate- Like heavy 45 LC - Accuracy Poor- No pressure signs

16.5 grs WW540, Hornandy Brass, 255 gr SWC, CCI SR Primer
          Recoil- on par with 44 Mag. Accuracy Poor-No pressure signs

17.0 grs WW540, Hornandy Brass,  250 XTP, CCI SR Primer
           Recoil very similar to 16.0 gr lead load- No pressure signs

17.5 grs WW540, Hornandy Brass, 250 XTP, CCI SR Primer  Recoil Heavy- Brass stuck in cylinder , but not as bad as the factory Hornandy 300 gr load this brass came from. Yes there from the dreaded lot 99! I believe Hornandy over loaded that lot!!

If you want to see a picture of deformed primer from lot 99  I'll e-mail it to you: [email protected]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts