Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

first time on this forum, I'm not trying to start a Chevy vs Ford debate, but am looking at a takedown Guide Gun by either Wild West Guns or DRC Custom. Any pros, cons or insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Bob

·
Registered
204 Posts
wyfarrell-

Just an idea, but you might consider posting this question on the Marlin "Big Bore Rifles" forum as well. Several of the posters there have custom Guide Guns by WWG and DRC and I'm sure they would be happy to share their opinions with you. I have only seen one myself, a WWG Co-Pilot in a local shop. I set it back in the rack GENTLY when I saw it was a WWG as I couldn't afford to pay for it if I dropped it! The price tag was over $2,000.00 if I remember correctly. Seems like an awful lot of money for a "takedown" rifle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You did the right thing Dutch! Too much money! While they're both good rifles, I've found that Dave Clay is more reasonable to work with and will make the changes that YOU want to your rifle. His work is top notch and even though I didn't go with a takedown, the mods he made to my rifle were perfect! A number of us at the Marlin board have had trouble dealing with WWG sales people and their pushiness of the .457 WWM but I guess it's just what kind of day thier having when you call. Just don't tell them you might shoot cast bullets - you'll get an hour long lecture about how they're no good for hunting! My advice to you is to contact them both and decide for yourself. CEJ..

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I have to agree with CEJ. I have dealt with the folks over at WWG for a long while. Seems in the last few years, they know more about what you want than you do. I hate that and it really torques my screws. Haven't done buisness with them in the past 3 or 4 years now, for that very reason. Jim is very nice and knowledgeable, but his sales people are not exactly the kind that should be dealing with the general public. I watched one poor soul get berated and laughed at because the sales people thought they knew so much more than he. Though I've never dealt with Clay, I've seen one DRC rifle and it is very nice, as is the WWG, for my money (if I had it to spend) I'd go with DRC.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My 45-70 guide gun has aftermarket parts from both WW and DRC, all of which I'm very happy with. Nothing against WW, but if I was going to buy one of the customized guide guns, it would be from DRC. For not very much more than I spent on my used gun and on aforementioned aftermarket parts ( WW trigger, WW ejector, Decelerator pad, Fool proof peep sight, fiber optic front sight, and DRC medium loop lever), and all the trips to the smith, I could get one of Dave Clay's beauties with even more bells and whistles. There'd be no question in my mind about it. Have fun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts