Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes in life, things happen in 2's. I have had a couple occurances with firearms like that in the last six months. I had a flatband .32 spec at the LGS calling my name, at what i consider a near giveaway price, including one full factory box of Rem core-locts. I was considering taking those out to shoot, but looking online came to the conclusion that they are too Valuable to practice/plink with. Then, last week i walked into another LGS where they had 2 94 carbines in .32 special on the rack. I made a deal for one that dates to 1940, that was the better of the two.

Now i'm looking for some handloading recipes. I have 170 fr speers, and Hornady flex tips that I aquired years ago, when i owned a .32-40 cal rifle. I managed to get a set of barely used dies from a friend on another forum. I also have some 185 grain cast flatpoints with gas-checks headed my way.

Any that you have experienced with successfull and accurate loads from your winchester would be appreciated. I am looking for hunting loads, and plinker loads with the cast bullets.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you JWS... but I am specifically soliciting loads from someone who has used them succesfully in a win 94 carbine (20" barrel). alot of the manuals use test barrels, 24 inch barrels, or different firearms. Also, the Hodgdon site doesn't show loads for .32 win Spec.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thank you JWS... but I am specifically soliciting loads from someone who has used them succesfully in a win 94 carbine (20" barrel). alot of the manuals use test barrels, 24 inch barrels, or different firearms. Also, the Hodgdon site doesn't show loads for .32 win Spec.
Very well, but what shoots well for one person might not for another. Also, the Lyman shows most accurate for each of the bullets they have listed.

Straight from the Hodgdon site. Good luck and all the best.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,939 Posts
Yep, it's there.

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Electronic device Technology

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,092 Posts
No easy answer with lever guns, for sure. All the bands and dovetails and 'stuff' hanging on the barrel..... each one is surely it's own adventure. Just figuring out how to hold them best can drive you crazy!

Congrats, and good luck.

Reactions: kdub

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sometimes in life, things happen in 2's. I have had a couple occurances with firearms like that in the last six months. I had a flatband .32 spec at the LGS calling my name, at what i consider a near giveaway price, including one full factory box of Rem core-locts. I was considering taking those out to shoot, but looking online came to the conclusion that they are too Valuable to practice/plink with. Then, last week i walked into another LGS where they had 2 94 carbines in .32 special on the rack. I made a deal for one that dates to 1940, that was the better of the two.

Now i'm looking for some handloading recipes. I have 170 fr speers, and Hornady flex tips that I aquired years ago, when i owned a .32-40 cal rifle. I managed to get a set of barely used dies from a friend on another forum. I also have some 185 grain cast flatpoints with gas-checks headed my way.

Any that you have experienced with successfull and accurate loads from your winchester would be appreciated. I am looking for hunting loads, and plinker loads with the cast bullets.
Just wondering what you paid for the 94 in 33 special? I'm looking at one now made in 1951 only 20 shells fired thru it im wondering what its worth? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering areI there talk forums forhelp model 1894 rifles only? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

I have a Winchester 94 in 38 40 caliber don't know much about that particular caliber do the shells I have fit a 38 caliber pistol? Any information would be greatly appreciated like how many years was the 94 made in that caliber an approximate value? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,939 Posts
Any information would be greatly appreciated like how many years was the 94 made in that caliber an approximate value? Thanks for any help
A couple pieces of advice.

Don't hijack someone else's thread.
Read the stickies, at every "talk forum" you register at; they usually address such things.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No such thing as a Winchester 94 thats "too nice to shoot", thats what they are made for!
I don't remember that subject ever coming up in this thread?

Just wondering what you paid for the 94 in 33 special? I'm looking at one now made in 1951 only 20 shells fired thru it im wondering what its worth? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks
No such thing as a 33 special. And it's not a shotgun, so it doesn't shoot shells.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The .32 Special generally works out pretty well. The rifling is cut to where it works with black powder or smokeless, so as it turns out, it works pretty good, but super great with either. But in the past I have had more than acceptable accuracy with 150 grain JFP's and very good accuracy with cast 170 grain cast bullets. With open sights, its about a 2.5 MOA rifle, and that's more than enough for any job you can ask of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts