Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off with my perspective. I love the 1911 from how it feels to accuracy to natural pointablity. I can shoot a 1911 well. I don't practice much and even without glasses I can still get a 5" group at 15 yards all day. I hate the beretta m9 that I used in the navy. It felt horrible in my hands. Had no natural pointablity and felt like I might as well been shooting 22LR yet I felt as heavy as a 1911. I hate glocks the feel like cheap pieces of plastic and shoot like crap. How they have ak-47 reliability amazes me. With that said I shot a XDm 9mm last weekend and it actually felt like a pistol I could enjoy shooting.
At 6'5" I have no problem carrying a full size grip 4" brrl 1911 for concealed carry. I was planning on carrying a Kimber Crimson Carry Pro II since my familiarity with the pistol combined with the laser grip would only improve my chances of putting a round on target. I don't feel the need for 15+ rounds I'd rather have the knockdown power or a .45acp. And No one can tell me that a 9mm in an adequate round stopper. 50cent did get hit with 9 rounds including one to the face and he is physically fine.
now for the really question given the above which is better for concealed carry. I want to shoot the XD in a 45 but haven't found a friend with one so I'm asking for you guys input.

Ps I just created this account to get your input. :). Feel lucky. :). Haha.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have only shot the XD-40 (.40 S&W) and it feels great, plus, you can get all the lasers for it including a rail laser. Which for me is the ideal place for it since it is protected by the pistol and not external to get trashed.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Welcome my fellow Navy Vet.:D

I have an XD in .45 ACP that I carry in this rig and in an inside waistband holster. The IWb rig hides it adequately for my 6' 280# frame with a shirt-tail out. The gun has preformed flawlessly for about 2 years now and while I hope to never need to use it, I go about confident that I have adequate cartridge and firepower for almost anything. (I usually only carry 10 rds in the mag.):cool:

This is a Colt, Series 80 Officer's Model, also in .45 and for 20 odd years I thought it was THE pistol for me. My time in the Navy was spent with the M1911A1 so this little version of that pistol felt familiar and comfortable.

:) But when it comes to concealed carry, this little pistol will leave marks on your hide.:eek: The serated hammer digs into my rather fleshy 'love handles'. This pistol only has a 6 rd magazine and perhaps its the Navy training but I just don't like carrying a 1911 fully loaded with a cocked hammer unless I have a holster strap under the hammer.:confused: (My XD has a safety on the slide and I use it. Makes me feel better.) The XD does not dig into me (plunger vs hammer), has more rounds and better reliability.(Any 1911 I have ever shot had feed issues at some point, my XD has never failed me.)

Wish we were closer, I'd gladly let you try the XD. Don't think you would be disappointed.:D

·
Registered
489 Posts
first let me say each has its place , i shot a para ordnance in 40 for years in competition and own a xd40 in 5". my para holds 19 and my xd holds 12. equal loads shot from either gun function reliably with the recoil from the xd being sharper. my para has a ramped barrel which supports the entire case not so with the xd. standard 1911's in 45 do not have ramped barrels either.
as far as a carry gun i like the xd better as i dont find myself wondering if i just knocked the safe off, for me it is a cleaner gun to carry also. i dont shoot it as well but i think i would be able to with more practice. most of the carry gun arguments associated with the glock,s&w sigma or otherws can also be linked to the xd. both good and bad.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I carry my xd9sc or xd45c depending on various things. I have confidence in the 9mm; if I have to stop a bg it will do the job.

I mostly prefer it to the 45 simply because it does conceal a little better under a tee with the short mag, and it's noticeably lighter, and that makes my back happier. I can conceal the 45 with the short mag, but it's more uncomfortable. I carry low and let the fat slab conceal the grip which is just at the belt level. The longer gun is less comfortable that way.

Another good thing about this combo is that I can carry the 45 iwb and the xd9 rides in my boot top as backup or deeper concealment.

The only thing I could suggest that would be better might be the xd40sc, which is the same exact platform as the xd9sc with one less round. I wish I had started that way because the 40 can be set up with a 9mm barrel, but it won't work the other way. That covers the 3 primary semi-auto calibers with two frames.

Either gun with their extended mags full is lighter than the 1911 with 9 in condition 1. The slimness of the 1911 is attractive, but it is even longer than the xd45c, so the bulge is lower. And as noted above, it really needs a full body shield to avoid gouging.

Finally, here's a penetration comparison. I think marksmanship means a lot more than diameter. FWIW a .380 loaded with truncated cone fmjs will penetrate the same as these other loads do:

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have only heard good things about the xd's, never have tried one myself mostly because they look so simmiler to glocks which I do not care for. I carry and shoot full size 1911's and do not mind the extra weight and the extreme accuracy is deffinatly a comfort. 3" groups at 30 yds. offhand.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My wife agrees with you on the shooting part of that, she prefers the 1911 trigger. XDs are different from Glocks in that the grip angle of the XD and 1911 are the same. The plastic pistols have fatter grips for the double stack mags, but they are accurate and reliable. The more I shoot it, the straighter it shoots! I think the 1911 pistol has the best grip there is and if I could get that grip on my redhawk I'd be pleased. But for carry I like my XDs. Grizz

·
Registered
908 Posts
I say go with whatever makes you feel safe. You talk about the 1911 like its custom made glove for your hand. But if you want to try something different nothing wrong with an XD.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You have the most confidence and shoot the 1911 best, so carry it. There are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people who carry even full size 1911s daily concealed. The 4.25" models are even better IMO.

One one the best things about carrying the 1911 is the thickness. It's very thin especially compared to most any other .45 polymer pistols since it's a single stack. If you buy a good belt and holster you'll find you don't notice its there.

I'm with you, I want the full size .45 on my side instead of a 9mm. I've just talked to too many troops that have had bad experiences overseas. Granted they're shooting ball ammo, but still, no thanks. It's falling out of favor of a lot of LE agencies, too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have had very little experience with the 9mm. It is a small round. That being said, with a well placed shot, and the right ammo, I'm sure that it could do the job in a pinch. However, I have experience with the .45 ACP. I carried one in VIETNAM in 1967-68. The bigger bullet has a definite advantage in the stopping power department. I purchased a SPRINGFIELD XD 4" which is a 13+1. I reload for it as well as cast my own bullets. It chews up and spits out all that I have put through it without so much as a sputter. I keep my mv at about 830 fps with a 242 gr cast lead bullet. I am confident that with its large flat nose, that it will stop anything that a sane man would want to defend against. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
62 Posts
not much experience with 1911. i have had my xd45 for several years. i love the built in safeties. both trigger and grip have to be compressed to fire. dont like the idea of carrying a 1911 cocked and relying on the safety to save my foot. also my xd is very light and has a 13 roung mag in 45acp. currently looking at the laser sight that replaces the rear metal sight. this pistol has fired many shots and never failed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
not much experience with 1911. i have had my xd45 for several years. i love the built in safeties. both trigger and grip have to be compressed to fire. dont like the idea of carrying a 1911 cocked and relying on the safety to save my foot. also my xd is very light and has a 13 roung mag in 45acp. currently looking at the laser sight that replaces the rear metal sight. this pistol has fired many shots and never failed.
I am always dumbfounded when people say they don't want to carry a 1911 because you carry it cocked. If the safeties are off of a XD and a 1911 and you pull the trigger, they both shoot, right? Ok. Now the 1911 has a grip safety + a thumb safety and won't fire unless the thumb safety is off and the grip safety is depressed, not to mention pulling the trigger... So the 1911 actually has more safety features than the XD without a thumb safety. :confused:

·
Banned
334 Posts
I have carried a Commander or 5" 1911 every day for 40 years, both on and off the job. I am thin and have no "padding" and, therefore, have always been particular about the leather the gun goes into. I do not have the problem of pieces or parts digging into me. I am also confident and competent enough to not feel the need for extended or double stacked magazines. The platform is what I learned on and feel most comfortable with. That latter should be your only criteria - it matters not what we think, in that regards - only what you think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts