Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice the new GC configuration includes a XS Ghost Ring Sight with high-vis front post. I am interested in upgrading the standard sights on my 1895M and am considering either a Williams peep or the XS Ghost Ring. As my other rifles have scopes I have not used either the Williams or XS Ghost.

I am interested in comments and/or recommendations. I use the 1985M for deer and bear (eventually will do some hogs) hunting in brush/standing timber.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I've been a big fan of FO sights since they were first introduced many years ago - to the point that just about every one of my rifles that carries iron sights has at least a FO front mounted, most w/a peep.

Since your intended use is essentially close-range/snap-shooting, any size color FO front bead will suit, as they're available in the same 1/16" & 3/32" sizes as gold & ivory bead front sights, and in either green or red to boot.
So, go with whatever floats your boat.

As far as the peep sights, since your hunting would presume a "set-'n-forget" peep sight, either the XS ($90) or the Williams 5D ($39) should do just fine, AND the aperture can easily be unscrewed from any Williams peep to result in a "ghost ring" sight.

If your 450M is factory prepped on the side for a side-mount peep (Williams or Lyman), ILO having to use a top mount (XS or Williams), you will most likely be able to zero it using a FO replacement front sight of the same height as issue - but either of the two top-mount peeps will require a front sight at least 1/10" higher than issue, in order to successfully acheive zero.

I zero mine @ 100yds, so I can "hold on hair", w/o guestimating range or trajectory if I can see the animal at all, in that type of hunting situations.
The PBR, using that zero, ends up being almost 250yds with a .450 Marlin.

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
Where ghost rings shine is is speed of target acquisition. They have less precision than a standard peep, but not nearly as much less as intuition would suggest. Your brain is pretty good at finding the center of a circle. If you are in doubt, I would suggest borrowing a gun with ghost ring sights and grouping it to see how your eyes (make sure any astigmatism is corrected in your shooting glasses) and your brain process it? It varies with the individual, but holding ghost rings to 6" at 200 yards from a supported or a prone position is not exceptional if the gun is up to it? Assuming that is satisfactory for the range you are hunting, then I think you'll find the ghost ring a terrific iron sight. It is quick and it lets you see when light is too low for a standard peep aperture.

If you are unsure, there is yet another option to the sights you named. The Skinner sight comes with a screw-in aperture that can be removed to give you a .200" ghost ring. So you it can also be switched between ghost ring and aperture. At $54 it is inbetween the XS and the Williams in price.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
If you use a Williams, then the standard peep has inserts that can be changed to several different sizes. Also, you can just take the insert completely out and then you have a ghost ring.

Easy enough to experiment and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Whoops, I see this information is duplicated from a post above. Consider it endorsing the previous post. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts