Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone told me he once met a fellow who carried his ammo in a cartridge belt (like I do). He wore his belt over his coat so the loaded rounds were visible. The cartridges were grouped in threes, with an empty loop between them. Each of those groups had the bulllets painted yellow, orange, then red. He was of course asked why. His answer was that the colors indicated the loads intensity. The yellow ones were pussycats. They were the first into the rifle. Should he miss, the next one down the pipe would be an orange one. The orange one was loaded quite a bit hotter, because the deer would be farther away by that time. Should he miss with that one, the next bullet was the red one, and he had that one loaded smoking hot because the deer would be real far away by then. But it gets better. The yellow one was a 220 grainer that would knock the deer off it's feet. The orange one was a 180 grainer because he needed more speed. The red one was a lightweight 150 grainer because the deer was so far away by then. LOL.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dumbest thing I ever heard,,,,I've found that in some guns, .5 grains of powder can make a dif of 3" POA at 100 yards (BTW, I found that out the EZ way on my 30-30). I've found out the hard way that little expenses (say like $20 worth of lens caps that keep your lens clean so that you don't have to stop and wipe them off before you shoot) are priceless and can make the dif between getting skunked and bringing home the bacon/meat.

Therefore, shoot your load and know where it shoots and shoot where you are supposed to and the critter will fall dead.

Now, if he wants to hunt w/a reduced load...which only sacrifices about 50 yards worth of distance....AND HE KNOWS WHERE IT HITS, more power to him. If he just wants to conserve .10 worth of powder, not a good idea, there are only so many chances to kill a critter and that ain't no time to skimp....again, I found it out the hard way. Carrying loads w/dif points of impact, are you serious?

Now, that said, some rifles, like my .270, shoot dead on, regardless of the load. But, those are the exception and as Harry Callahan says, "A man has go to have and edge>"

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Sounds like your friend needs a .300 Ultra Mag loaded with a good 180gr bullet. No mixed loads on the belt...lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
I second stinky, more practice, and if you need more than one shoot go back to practice and after 2 shoot, stop shooting and go back to more practice!!!!
_______
roberto

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep, that'd be a nightmare all right, never seen a rifle yet that could put three such varying loads with such a difference in bullet weight into anything like a group... and what if the first deer he saw happened to be a long way away? Then he'd have to jack two live rounds out of his rifle to shoot it! I like your response about the grenades though - still laughing about that one!

I have been guilty of colour coding in the past though. Hunting scrub bulls with a .375 H&H, I would put a nikko mark on the base of the shells loaded with 300gn Woodleigh projectiles, to distinguish them from the 300gn Interlocks I also wore in my belt driven by exactly the same load. I have also heard of African hunters painting the bases of shells to indicate which were solids - again in the same bullet weight or near enough to it to make no difference hunting big game.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I'm thinking the first shot is probably going to be made while the deer is stationary and unaware. Now, on the second and third shot, well......I mean, if he missed the stationary shot, well....uhm.....

Does he get more accurate with each follow-up shot? I mean, with each miss, is he getting to be a better shot because of the previous experiences?

What does he use for the fourth shot? Fifth? And by this time, how far away are his deer, usually? Maybe they're slow. Because they limp....maybe.

This fellow sounds like an interesting character.... ("Ya know, Orly, I think we're done for the day. My ears are ringing. Let's go get a beer and swap some stories. We scared him good, didn't we? He won;t bother us no more! Ha!")

(:)D))

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I started with Jim just as a general all-around common name, but I thought that might bother some of the Jims in here, so....."Orly" came to mind. ))) :D (((

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Well heck Stretch, how do you think the one and only Orly here is gonna feel now that you singled him out? :p

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I sincerely hope that this is some sore of allegory and that there is not, and never was, some nimrod out there carrying around three drastically different weight bullets, as described. More importantly, I hope that the less experienced, possibly more naive, members of this esteemed forum recognize it as such!

Guys, when you post something tongue-in-cheek, for the sake of the impressionable, it might be best to put a good, solid, "LOL" at the end...so there's no misunderstanding.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I sincerely hope that this is some sore of allegory and that there is not, and never was, some nimrod out there carrying around three drastically different weight bullets, as described. More importantly, I hope that the less experienced, possibly more naive, members of this esteemed forum recognize it as such!

Guys, when you post something tongue-in-cheek, for the sake of the impressionable, it might be best to put a good, solid, "LOL" at the end...so there's no misunderstanding.
you said--"some sore of allegory"--did you mean--"some sort of an analogy". if you did, i must say with respect,that is obvious to all but a moron or dimwit that the persons posting their reponse that it was indeed tongue in cheek.if as you say they are that impressionable,they wouldn't know what lol meant.--i thought it was a moderator who decided if something was in say "bad taste or misleading".-really,lighten up and read it for what it is.their just taking the p**s as we say.:D:)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Stretch, I knew a kid in school named Orly, thank God I'm sure he doesn't play here!!!:D I guarantee some nut-job out there has met this profile whether we are joking about it or not. Someone has thought that. That is why this is so sad and yet hillarious!! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts