Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It baffles and disappoints me that American gun manufacturers continue to cheapen 22 rifles even though there would seem to be an appetite for well made wood stocked metal rifles, think CZ. The prices of vintage Remington's and Winchesters that were well made also seems to support my theory.
The latest example is the new Winchester wildcat 22, I just read the article on it in the outdoor section. I have nothing against synthetic stocked guns if they are quality made with an eye towards accuracy like the Tikka T1x.
The new Winchester reminds me of the Remington nylon 66 or something similar conceptually. They tout the rifle as being like a 10-22 but with everything fixed you didn't like about the 10-22 but don't elaborate. I'm skeptical as usual.
Here's the link for you to read and comment on.
https://www.alloutdoor.com/2020/01/30/shot-show-2020-shooting-winchester-wildcat-22-rifle/

The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
My .22's have been sold/given away to the final one in the safe - a Kimber of Oregon Model 82C which is a classic in the world of sporter .22 bolt action rifles. Don't need another as this suits my needs perfectly.

Reactions: sparkyv and Davers

Premium Member
That's quite an interesting statement by Winchester; "Fixed everything you hated about the Ruger 10/22". And then I read where their new rifle uses 10/22 magazines?????

Almost 6-million Ruger 10/22 rifles, now in circulation, as of today, so does that mean there are 6-million owners who have rifles with something about them that they hate? I have a couple, and I sorta like 'em.
Ruger made some pretty nice 77/22 bolt action rifles in the early to mid 90's that are some really nice lookin' guns and pretty good shooters. And, I have a couple of those, and they would be the last ones I'd ever sell.
It just seems the younger crowd has been swept up into the "tacticool generation", and have left the good 'ol walnut and blued steel genre to us old farts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That's quite an interesting statement by Winchester; "Fixed everything you hated about the Ruger 10/22". And then I read where their new rifle uses 10/22 magazines?????

Almost 6-million Ruger 10/22 rifles, now in circulation, as of today, so does that mean there are 6-million owners who have rifles with something about them that they hate? I have a couple, and I sorta like 'em.
Ruger made some pretty nice 77/22 bolt action rifles in the early to mid 90's that are some really nice lookin' guns and pretty good shooters. And, I have a couple of those, and they would be the last ones I'd ever sell.
It just seems the younger crowd has been swept up into the "tacticool generation", and have left the good 'ol walnut and blued steel genre to us old farts.
I'm no fan of the 10-22 mainly because of their accuracy issues and that rotary magazine both of which I seriously doubt is addressed in this new Winchester but as far as entry level guns go one cannot deny the success of the 10-22. Pretty sure I read somewhere it's the best selling 22 rifle of all time
The big advantage I see for the Ruger is you can buy a bone stock one new or better yet used and customize it as your budget allows, this new gun doesn't look like that could be done if and when the parts were available.
By comparing their new gun to a 10-22 invites comparison and criticism, not a good marketing ploy in my view.

Super Moderator
Interesting topic

I have the earlier version of the Winchester Wildcat .22 bolt action rifle with wooden stock and I believe was made in Russia and introduced around 2010. I found it on the used gun rack at a decent price. It shoots well and is not fussy about what I feed it. Guess it is a matter of personal preference. I just like the older .22 rifles that I found on the used gun racks in the gun shops that I visit. All the best...
Gil

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I have the earlier version of the Winchester Wildcat .22 bolt action rifle with wooden stock and I believe was made in Russia and introduced around 2010. I found it on the used gun rack at a decent price. It shoots well and is not fussy about what I feed it. Guess it is a matter of personal preference. I just like the older .22 rifles that I found on the used gun racks in the gun shops that I visit. All the best...
Gil
Didn't know they had ever sold a Russian made gun that was rebranded, it looks significantly better than the new model.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854960325

Premium Member
Well, at least they, the degreed engineers, were smart enough to recognise that the Ruger 10/22 magazines are excellent enough to be usable in this new offering:

Quote from ad: "I spoke with Mark Yackley of Winchester, who reminded me of all the interesting features of the Wildcat, which is a semi-auto Winchester rifle that accepts Ruger 10/22 magazines鈥 and he summed it up pretty well"

Don't know of any other modern design .22 rifle, other than this one, whereby they sorta admit that the Ruger rotary magazine is acceptable to use in this Winchester. That alone should boost sales of Ruger rotary magazines. :p

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I got used to the single/staggered stack magazines in my youth and never liked the rotary magazines mainly because a spare doesn't fit in a jeans pocket comfortably and are difficult to clean in the field if dropped in the dirt. I've heard every argument for them you can imagine from 10-22 guys but still disliked them for the two Ruger's I've had that used them, a 10-22 and a 77/22 hornet.
Wondering if they contracted Ruger to make the magazines for the new Winchester.

Registered
You have to admit gun companies have excellent imaginations,I would think someone came up with the idea to use the magazines before the gun was designed so they could tie the two guns together and tout there gun as the better gun.

I think most new guns are like books ,were the story gets written and then the cover gets made to suit the story.

Someone figures out how to sell a gun then makes a gun to suit the sails pitch.

Cheers.

Registered
It baffles and disappoints me that American gun manufacturers continue to cheapen 22 rifles even though there would seem to be an appetite for well made wood stocked metal rifles, think CZ. The prices of vintage Remington's and Winchesters that were well made also seems to support my theory.
The latest example is the new Winchester wildcat 22, I just read the article on it in the outdoor section. I have nothing against synthetic stocked guns if they are quality made with an eye towards accuracy like the Tikka T1x.
The new Winchester reminds me of the Remington nylon 66 or something similar conceptually. They tout the rifle as being like a 10-22 but with everything fixed you didn't like about the 10-22 but don't elaborate. I'm skeptical as usual.
Here's the link for you to read and comment on.
https://www.alloutdoor.com/2020/01/30/shot-show-2020-shooting-winchester-wildcat-22-rifle/
I read the article in the link you posted and think that Winchester's Wildcat .22 rifle looks rather cheap with way too much plastic. Growing-up I remember they (Winchester & also Remington) offered some very great rifles made for the .22 Rim Fire cartridge, like: Winchester's Models 75 & 52 Sport models. Remington also had several bolt actions that were similar and accurate, well made with WOOD Stock & METAL parts. These rifles by Winchester and Remington are now collector's Items highly sought. About the only rifles that were made today are: Ruger's Model 77/22 & CZ's .22 rifles both semi-auto and bolt action rifles. Ruger has dropped it's .22 LR Model 77/22, but it's has been replaced by their "American Rim Fire" version, but It's not as accurate as their Model 77/22 series rifles. CZ still offers their Model 452 and a few other .22 LR's which are offered with far less plastic and have very nice wood stocks. It's too bad that American manufactures have cheapened their .22 LR offers to where their parts are almost all plastic, and barrels not the greatest in terms of accuracy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Even Coopers don't come with the spectacular wood they did 10 years ago although they didn't lower the prices on them.

Registered
And yet...without entry level rifles, some people couldn'taffort to enter the sport...and we need all the new shooters we can get.

Got old...but still occasionally hunt/shoot in places/conditions were I just won't take out the "pretty rifles"...I let the ones already ugly do that.

But only if they actually function/run right....ultimate accuracy isn't that kind of uses first priority.

NOpe...won't be buying one....will be looking local used gun racks for a "cheap beater" because that's a different type of "hunting" and I'm not in a rush.

Plus points for looks like the two allen keys needed for fuller take down being clipped onto the trigger unit....that's a right good idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
And yet...without entry level rifles, some people couldn'taffort to enter the sport...and we need all the new shooters we can get.

Got old...but still occasionally hunt/shoot in places/conditions were I just won't take out the "pretty rifles"...I let the ones already ugly do that.

But only if they actually function/run right....ultimate accuracy isn't that kind of uses first priority.

NOpe...won't be buying one....will be looking local used gun racks for a "cheap beater" because that's a different type of "hunting" and I'm not in a rush.

Plus points for looks like the two allen keys needed for fuller take down being clipped onto the trigger unit....that's a right good idea.
There's just an awful lot of entry rifles out there, I guess the expectation from a company with brand recognition like Winchester was to high for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I believe I've stumbled on to the reason Winchester is bringing this gun out, I did search on gunbroker for semi auto 22's and sorted them by price, Rossi, Marlin, Savage, Mossberg and Remington all have guns priced at 150.00 or less in the "buy it now" from dealers. They're simply getting into a market there not in right now, assuming the gun will sell at that price.
10-22's start at 208. and change, it'll be interesting to see where they price the Winchester.

Registered
What's to bet it will be a bit more than the 10-22.

Cheers

Premium Member
I got used to the single/staggered stack magazines in my youth and never liked the rotary magazines mainly because a spare doesn't fit in a jeans pocket comfortably and are difficult to clean in the field if dropped in the dirt. I've heard every argument for them you can imagine from 10-22 guys but still disliked them for the two Ruger's I've had that used them, a 10-22 and a 77/22 hornet.
Wondering if they contracted Ruger to make the magazines for the new Winchester.
Wonder no more. Ruger, like many other firearms manufacturers these days, do not make magazines. Ruger gets their magazines from Italy, Mec-Gar. The SR22 magazines are even stamped as being made in Italy. Even the Ruger Mark pistol magazines are made there with Rugers proprietary tooling.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Wonder no more. Ruger, like many other firearms manufacturers these days, do not make magazines. Ruger gets their magazines from Italy, Mec-Gar. The SR22 magazines are even stamped as being made in Italy. Even the Ruger Mark pistol magazines are made there with Rugers proprietary tooling.
And I thought it was only LCP magazines! Mine is stamped made in Italy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts