Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of getting into casting for a while now.

Whilst cruising the local salvage store, I saw 5 pound boxes of Lead Wool for $1 each. I grabbed them, figuring if I didn't use them, I could pass them on to someone who would.

Anyway, that purchase, and some other lead I have laying around is giving me the urge to get off the dime here.

Having read a few threads on getting started here, I'm thinking I might get the Lyman Kit from Midway for $170. Looks like all I'll need besides that is the appropriate sizer die, top punch and molds.

Between ACP and Long Colt, I shoot quite a lot of .45, so thought I'd start there.

Anything else I'll need to get started? Advice?

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
Not sure about your lead wool but I prefer Lyman's #2 or "hardball" mix. Cheap and free is good when it comes to lead. If you decide to buy some "lead" check out Rotometals. They also have a few neat casting tools. Here http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming (dangerous, I know...) that the lead wool is pure lead and will need to be alloyed to increase the hardness. I'm also assuming that Lyman's book will address that and give me some data to work from.

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
I "assume" (hope) you are correct. The Lymman's manual will answer your questions. You can shoot pure lead obviously but I like hard-cast.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The lyman lead pot does not have bottom pour capabilities like the Lee. Its personal choice , but the bottom pour is faster IMO. The rest of the Lyman items are OK. Lead wool is pure lead. To make alloy you would have to know if you are going to air cool the cast bullets or Oven heat treat/water drop. This would depend on the velocity you will be loading to. The 45 acp does not need more than 2% antimony content in the alloy air cooled or water dropped. For the 45 colt at higher velocity, an alloy containing 6% antimony with 2% tin is needed , air cooled. You will do well to follow Lymans book.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I debated about going the extra money for the bottom pour, but I think for starters in a "hobby" I'm just trying on for size, that'll be a good place to start for the price. If I really get into it (and can find a consistent source for materials at a reasonable price, like say...free) I can always upgrade to a better pot.

Thanks for the tips on alloys too. I'll probably start with a 230gr LRN mold and go from there as experience dictates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.