Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Fellers -

The drop-dead date is fast approaching here in Arizona. Hope everyone has their applications in and their collective fingers crossed!

Suppose you folks in the other states have already found out if you were drawn or not. This system here leaves much to be desired. Not knowing until the end of July/first of Aug usually means if you miss out on the draw, there's little to no time contacting an out-of-state outfitter for a booking. At my advanced (read, old) age, I've pretty well got to go with an outfitter that has the aminities, rather than dragging this ol' carcass up and down mountain sides. Those things sure got steeper as I got older!

Anyways, let's hear from ya and if ya made out, or not.

Just hate to see this forum sit so long with no action.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
kdub,
That is the same way it is with Alaska. Up until about 2 years ago, the winners of the permits were announced in July and, at least for Dall Sheep, the season started in early August. Not much time for a resident to be asking for time off, scouting out his/her winning area (you can apply for up to 3 different hunts), etc... For an out of state winner, things must of have been really interesting, trying to find a guide, schedule time off, get plane tickets, purchase items needed for the hunt, get in shape, etc...

Funny thing is, Alaska doesn't have a point system. Everyone has an equal opportunity of winning a permit for a particular area. The drawing area that I live in, I've never been drawn for, even though a bunch of non-residents, and even foreign nationals have been drawn. In my backyard!!! Just can't figure that one out.

At any rate, good luck to everyone out there. I sure would like to get down to Arizona, New Mexico, etc... for some good hunting in the future.

Good luck to all!

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Say the word, Alyeska -

I'm sure we could rig up something real quick. NM still has over-the-counter mule deer tags. Everything in Ariz is on a draw basis, and believe the same holds true for Utah.

Anyways, we'll put something together!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I don't see it happening in the next few years, but someday... Ahhh... someday!!!:D

Thank you so much for the offer of helping, though, don't be surprised when I knock on your door!!!

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any time the mood strikes, Alyeska -

Come on down - the door's open and the coffee pot's on!

·
Banned
584 Posts
Got my pics in for Deer and Elk. Hope to get drawn for 6A. Area 10 is where the record Mule Deer has been taken but if it does not rain its too **** hot up there in November....

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, the Kiabab Plateau has some big'uns hanging out it the brush, that's for sure - just darn'd tough to get drawn for the area,though.

I've put in for Area 23 for deer/elk. Antelope in 19 and turkey in 22.

Hope you make your draw - keep us posted!

·
Banned
40 Posts
Can't get much more southwest than southern California. I got my first deer tag in the mail last week. I'm excited to go. It's for the San Bernadino National Forest. I don't expect anything big or great, but I still can't wait to go.

I'm mostly excited about going for pig and taking along my bear tag. I really just got the deer tag so I won't get hassled in October.

I can't wait. We leave for pig on 9 July thru the 12th. Deer and bear start 11 Oct.

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the deer tag, Searoy - and, good luck on the pig hunting. Folks say the pig hunting in Ca. is pretty good.

·
Banned
584 Posts
Searoy

If that deer just happens to have a Greg Davis poster on it, shoot him low so he has a long slow death... :D

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Gents -

Another couple weeks and we should find out if we made out in the Ariz. big game permit drawing.

Kinda hard to work up full enthusiam when the theromometor is hitting 110 - 116 deg all the time. If my permit(s) come in, will probably have to be at the range prior to sunup to start getting the hunting loads checked out. At least, that'll be the excuse to go out and burn powder! :D

Dang - I sure hope SOMETHING gets drawn out of all my applications!

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, DOGGONIT!!

Was just notified via the internet that I was completely unsuccessful in this year's drawings. First time in 16 years I drew a complete blank.

Guess I'll have to see about arrangements for Non-res hunting over in New Mexico again, this year.

Darn the luck!!

·
Beartooth Regular
2,164 Posts
Dang! Sorry to here that, kdub. I'd hate to live in a place where there was a chance I couldn't hunt at ALL for the year. I guess as populations of people grow and habitat shrinks it could happen anywhere, though.

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a period of teeth gnashing, hair pulling and ash throwing, I decided to bite the bullet and loosen up the purse strings. Worked out a guided hunt in the Glenwood, NM area with a guy that sounds like my kind of people.

Name is Dave Handrich and has chased lion/bear all over the west, primarily in the Nevada/Oregon/Arizona/New Mexico areas. He also provides for elk and deer hunts at a very reasonable price, so - I'm booked for the 5 day mule deer hunt the middle of Nov. Anyone else on the board interested, I'd be glad to have company and share the details with you. Just send me a PM.

·
24,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zeppelin -

Sent you a Private Message!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I finally drew my antelope here in Colorado for areas 57/58...a five year wait. What a great hunt it was! I was fortunate enough to harvest a buck that missed B&C by only 2 points, which was respectable for a mountain antelope. Now the application process starts all over again!

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
KDUB...If all else fails there always coyotes and , dare I say it, jackrabbits. Year round hunt, nothing required but a hunting license. I admit, it's not exactly the sort of thing you want to stock your freezer with, but it is hunting! Same goes for mountain lion with an over the counter permit, but good luck finding one. (Figure a month of free time for that hunt) If you get really desperate....did you know that in Arizona we have a year round open season on sparrows? Better break out .300 win mag for that one!!!...........Sorry........just trying to be helpful.....Bill "aka" just got turned down for turkey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts