Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This youngster has moved in next door. He has seen my Dad's trophy room, my Uncles, mine, plus he has met my brother when he was down from Alaska. He has watched all of the Hunting videos we have, plus some of our video from Alaska hunting trips we've made. I took him Deer hunting this year, even let him go to "Tellyalater Pass" with my brother. They saw a number of bucks, just couldn't put enough points on them to harvest. Boys, he's got it bad . He hasn't been to hunter safety yet, that's this spring. Think he's ready for his first whiff of Hoppes #9? He'll be plum ruined if I let him smell that stuff. Remember when you were just starting, couldn't carry a gun yet? Oh I'm telling ya, he's got the fever bad, one of the worst cases I ever seen. I let him fondle the JC Higgins '06 but he was drooling all over it, so I had to take it away. And tonight, he ate his first Elk summer sausage, I'm afraid it's all but over. Ya really think I ought to let him smell the Hoppes? What kind of weapon ya spose this young upstart ought to start with? He's seen a Savage 99 in Field and Stream, poor kid's in love I tell ya!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Joel B, you just sent me back 50+ years in time reading your post. I can remember carrying a used Hoppes patch in my pocket when I went to school during deer season. All the guys knew what it was. First rifle I was permitted to carry was an old Savage 99 in 250/3000. Thanks for the trip back in time.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My first gun that I carried was my Dad's 300 Savage. This young kid is 16, his name is Jacob. Great kid, one of these day's he'll be married, his wife is going to hate me! But I'm going to do my best to teach him to be a 1st class woodsman.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm tellin ya fellas, if he gets a whiff of that stuff, it'll be over...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Joel B, I dont know about the Hoppes yet, it sounds like you might have to very gently introduce him to it, I still have one of the Old Original from many years ago. You be carefull with that stuff and that boy. :D

Gun Runner

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
Jacob,

Hoppe's #9 is gun cleaning solvent, with a distinct and well-known odor.

If you've never smelled it, you're missing out. Head on down to the gun shop and catch a whiff.....

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Jacob:
Hoppes #9 is one of the oldest gun cleaning solvents on the market. General Hatcher used it in 1911 and I think it came out in 1909. It has a distinctive smell because of the banana oil or amyl acetate in it. The older you are the more you've used. The Original that Gun Runner has had a powerful and slightly dangerous solvent, nitrobenzene, in it. The government stopped Hoppes from using nitrobenzene about 1972, and the new formula doesn't work as fast. You pronounce Hoppes hope-ez, I've heard.
http://www.hoppes.com/story.html

Welcome to the forum.

Bye
JAck

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
However it is pronounced, it is as much a part of autumn as pumpkins and the leaves changing colors. There's not a time when I smell it that my mind doesn't drift back to my very first hunting seasons. Kind of a elixir to a rite of passage.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have used something else for years to clean my rifles, etc. There is a bottle of Hoppes #9 on the shelf just for the aroma.

I have noticed that the smoke from black powder cartridge guns is nearly as addictive

1 - 12 of 12 Posts