Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about a Remington Model Seven. Now that they've added an inch and a half barrel length, it seems to feel better in the hands and I think is certainly more esethically pleasing than previous examples. But I have no personal shooting or hunting experience with them. To anyone who owns or has owned a Model Seven, what is your opinion? Thanks in advance.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Educated?? sort of....

Bill,

My very best friend of 20 years has always owned 1 rifle up to three weeks ago. His rifle, the Model 78 sportsman from Rem. in 30-'06; the predecessor to the Model 7.
His new one; a stainless-synthetic model 7 in the same caliber. Why 2??? who knows, but It shoots very well and handles even better. We've wrung it out to 300 yards and it's very accurate with my handloads [1-2" groups at 300] and factoy Rem. ammo gave us about 4". Can they all do this, I don't know... But he seems very happy with his.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Bill;

I must correct myself.... His new gun is .308! Sometimes my mind wanders as there were a few of us on the range that day: two people with new guns. 1 in 3006[model 700] and the 7 [in .308] the .308 did however shoot the accuracy I reported. I was incorrect in saying my friend had purchased another in the same caliber. The range master had the new 700 that shot almost as well.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I've read elsewhere on the web that the Seven usually shoots better than it should with its very light barrel.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Bill,

My old 760 Rem. pump in 30.06 is amazing. I don't shoot past 100 yds for lack of a place to do it but it shoots little tiny groups off the bench when I do my part at 100 and this is an old used light barrel pump. It suprises me each time I develope a new load. It will shoot about anything I conjure up. I have a friend that could and kind of does have any gun he wants for hunting and when the others start giving him trouble he pulls out his Remingtons. They have never let him down. They stamp a lot of them out but those proven parts do the job over and over.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mr Lester,

I bought a 18 inch barreled model 7 in 308 around 7 years ago, and have hunted with it a great deal. I have killed a few good deer with it, and for the most part I have good things to say about it.

I have had a few scopes on this rifle, until I settled on a variX II 2x 7 compact. This scope does really well, and does not interfere with the balance or handling characteristics at all. As well, I had a Remington Synthetic stock replace the wood stock that came with the rifle, and that lightened the rifle a little more, as I am fairly sure that its just over 6 pounds, scope included.

A light rifle is harder for me to shoot, and I do have to get my mind right to get the thing to group acceptably. It will shoot less than 2" if I do my part, and this rifle seems to prefer 180 grain bullets, the Hornady Boat Tail is the current record holder. I don't work as hard developing loads for this rifle as I do the others, as I figure its a fairly short range proposition, 200- 250 yards, tops. If I can cover a 100 yard five shot group with a Skoal can, then i figure its good to hook.

It is an absolute joy to pack, and I carry it when the weather is bad, when i tend to still hunt the fire breaks and log trails. My company gun is a CAR15, and the model seven puts me in mind of it.

I'm glad i bought mine, and I expect I'll hold onto it.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Steve

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Hi Bill,
We had one of the stainless/synthetic versions for a while (about three years?). Nice packing rifle, a little difficult to shoot from the bench because of the light weight and more drop in the stock than 700's. Still, most groups ran about 1.5" which I consider adequate. The wood stock version has quite a different feel - a little bit chunkier in the stock, but still seemed to be very comfortable to me. I never shot one of those, though; I only handled one at the store.
The only reason I got rid of mine was caliber - it was a .243. It wasn't really accurate enough for varmint work and I began to feel uncomfortable with the .243 for big game. But in a larger caliber I think it would be an excellent little rifle.

IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve,

Thanks for your input. I agree that we sometimes get too caught-up in absolute accuracy from the bench. Many times we forget we won't have that big old thing with us while hunting the backwoods. Still, if you're getting snuff can-sized groups @ 100 yards that's plenty good for any big game out to quite a distance.

ID,

I agree with you with respect to the .243. I believe we may have discussed in the past how hunters in my area either positively love it or hate it. I know of one guy who has used nothing else since the 1970's and he gets his venison just about every year. But there are others who I know to be fair to very good field shots that have lost deer using the .243.

Personally I'd like to get my Model Seven in the now-discontinued .260 LS version. It was avaialble with the 20" barrel in 2000 and 2001. I'm quite partial to the 6.5x55mm Swede, knowing its accuracy and abilities on game. For all intents and purposes, the .260 Rem. is its ballistic twin. I'm also looking in the .260's direction as a rifle for my wife or tounger family members if or when they want to take-up deer hunting. So if anyone finds an example be sure to let me know ASAP!

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
re: 243

Bill,
I think .260 would be excellent. With the .243, we never lost an animal, but I was not always impressed with the results (wound channel, penetration). We did have a bullet fail to get through the shoulder bone of a pronghorn, but I was able to catch up with it and dispatch it. I began to prefer a little more insurance. I believe the 260 would provide that. Hope you find one!
ID

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My opinion of the .243 pretty well goes hand-in-hand with yours. Since I've never used it myself, I have to rely on the experiences of others. I think it would be okay with resonably placed shots on pronghorn and smaller deer, but why take the chance with God's gifts? Not only that but this Remington would be used on larger game like the occasional ~200 lb. whitetail or black bear. The last two years in a row we've had 400+ pounders taken within twenty miles of my home. That's waaay too much for the .243, but I think the .260 with good bullets would do nicely.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Bill by Remington adding an 1.5 inches to the barrel of that model 7, it should be a big plus in the way of muzzle blast and muzzle jump somewhat. I got one for my daughter but took it back after she fired it twice off the back porch. Just to much muzzle blast then to suit her or I. The newer version should be a better rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts