Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have not ever used cast for any of my rifles. Thinking of doing this for my 444. So which bullet (either purchased or cast) type have you had the best luck with? If you are casting, what alloy are you casting it from?

Thanks for your input.

Edit. Forgot to mention, I am specifically looking for bullets that perform well on deer size game.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
For low cost and good accuracy with excellent performance on deer - when cast soft - the 310 grain Lee bullet is hard to beat.

The low cost of the mold makes it a good starting bullet.

The Lee bullet is one which benefits from the use of the Lee Factory Crimp die - particularly in the Winchester Model 94.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Experience has shown that bullets sized to .432 provide best accuracy in marlin 444, so keep that in mind as you work on this project.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here are two, Lee 310gr on left, NOE 300gr right.
Notice that the Lee is seated deep in the case, below the crimp groove.
I have to do that so the bullet will chamber in my Marlin without jamming into the rifleing.
Beartooth Bullets is also a good option if you want to purchase ready made and not cast your own.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
The 310 grain lee will not make the turn into the magazine of the Winchester Model 94BB with the bullet seated to the cannalure.
The bullet must be seated to a COL of 2.490".
Funny thing is if you pull the magazine tube cap and drop the longer loads in and replace the spring and cap the long rounds will cycle through the action.

Funny we have another thread active on the use of the Lee Factory Crimp die and this one on .444 Marlin bullets. We were discussing the same thing in November 2001 on this board!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess I'm on the other end of the curve here. I just started carrying the 444 for deer this year. I know that the 300+ gr bullets are going to get the most performance from the 444. 300 gr at 2000 fps is incredible. But the deer in AL just aren't that big and I don't need the range with iron sights and old eyes. Many threads here say the 44 mag is more than capable for whitetail, so I'm loading the 444 with stout 44 mag loads using bullets in the 250gr range. It makes the rifle a pleasure to shoot and it's still lethal out to maybe 150 yds. Why don't I just use a 44 mag rifle? Because I don't own one. I've had the 444 since the 80's.

For paper targets I'm using the Lee 429-240 RN in the 1200-1300 fps range. At that speed it's just plain fun and any alloy can be used. 3" groups at 100 yds is typical, but accuracy is limited by me, not the bullet. For hunting, my choice is the Lyman 429640, a HP with GC if desired. It's only a single cavity but since it's a hunting load I'm not making many. For the HP, wheel weight ingots 50-50 with lead, and running it about 1500 fps provides some expansion with minimal recoil. I haven't taken a deer with it yet so I can't give you a real world review. I'm not too sure the HP is a factor at that speed.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I have a similar problem. Out West Texas deer are a bit light framed.
The 270 grain Speer Gold Dot does pretty well from any angle.

Remember I am shooting a short barrel Winchester Timber rifle.
The bullet which puts does and spike bucks on the ground the quickest has been any of the 240 to 250 grain jacketed pistol bullets driven as fast as I am able.
I use soft nose bullets and if I want hollow points I increase the weight.
We talked about this a lot back in 2000. The big Lee 310 grain bullet is accurate in my rifle and cast soft and driven slow it does very well.

The bulk Remington 240 grain soft points are hard to beat for small deer at close range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts