Shooters Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
OK remember one thing, there were two "Commanders" from Colt, you had the LWC the same was we used. The other was steel frame.
That was after 1970 when the "Combat Commander" was introduced. My Commander came from the era when there was only one version and it had an alloy frame. Prior to 1970, to own a "Commander" meant that you owned an alloy framed 45 ACP with a 4-1/4" barrel. (smile)

The first rear sight on the gun I posted a picture of was the old Micro fixed rear sight. Bet most folks here have never seen those. The Novak rear sight was a later addition (after tearing the lining out of several sport coats with the Micros - lol).

Dave

This .380 Browning Model 1955 Pocket Pistol rides in (guess where) my pocket, every day.

When it comes time for some close-up varminting, or target shooting, I like this .22 Mag-only 1960 Ruger RSSM

A Charter .44 Bulldog resides in my bedside table, though.

That was after 1970 when the "Combat Commander" was introduced. My Commander came from the era when there was only one version and it had an alloy frame. Prior to 1970, to own a "Commander" meant that you owned an alloy framed 45 ACP with a 4-1/4" barrel. (smile)

The first rear sight on the gun I posted a picture of was the old Micro fixed rear sight. Bet most folks here have never seen those. The Novak rear sight was a later addition (after tearing the lining out of several sport coats with the Micros - lol).

Dave
Ahhh thanks for the correction on the sights, been a lot of years, Yes I'm an old Micro guy, always used the solid bushing and of course Microbed which I miss a lot. I beefed up a lot of vented M14 slotted handguards with it.

I own a lot of handguns, but probably the one I like the most still needs me to make one part for it.

it started out as an early vintage Ruger Blackhawk in 45colt that I bought for $350. It had holster wear and didn't really have collector value, so I sent it to twinstates hydrographics for a cerakote job. $150 for the Sniper Grey and Graphite black work with custom made coco-bolo wood grips I got thru a LGS, makes it an all-weather handgun for packing. It also has the best trigger I've ever felt on a handgun, Creep free and barely 2 lbs it's amazing.

All it needs to be finished is me to make the front sight insert. I have a nice piece of brass I need to fit and shape for it.

Attachments

I own a lot of handguns, but probably the one I like the most still needs me to make one part for it.

it started out as an early vintage Ruger Blackhawk in 45colt that I bought for $350. It had holster wear and didn't really have collector value, so I sent it to twinstates hydrographics for a cerakote job. $150 for the Sniper Grey and Graphite black work with custom made coco-bolo wood grips I got thru a LGS, makes it an all-weather handgun for packing. It also has the best trigger I've ever felt on a handgun, Creep free and barely 2 lbs it's amazing.
The old 3 screws were better for good triggers, my 3 screw trigger was lighter and broke like glass. X decades later, still does.

My 2 screw 45acp isn't anywhere near as good, but I know how to work them in without doing a TJ on them. Don't ask, I'd have to show to you and it won't work trying it via keyboard

The old 3 screws were better for good triggers, my 3 screw trigger was lighter and broke like glass. X decades later, still does.

My 2 screw 45acp isn't anywhere near as good, but I know how to work them in without doing a TJ on them. Don't ask, I'd have to show to you and it won't work trying it via keyboard

I have three screw rugers, I have guns with spring kits in them, and I have guns with gunsmith trigger work done.

everyone that has squeezed this gun off has a stunned look on their face. Someone at some point did some superior work to it. It doesn't even appear to move when it goes off.

I'm saying barely 2 lbs, but if I actually measured it [don't have a trigger gauge] it might be closer to 1-1.5lbs. I tell everyone to NOT put their finger on it until the sights are where they want to hit. It goes off that easy.

I have three screw rugers, I have guns with spring kits in them, and I have guns with gunsmith trigger work done.

everyone that has squeezed this gun off has a stunned look on their face. Someone at some point did some superior work to it. It doesn't even appear to move when it goes off.

I'm saying barely 2 lbs, but if I actually measured it [don't have a trigger gauge] it might be closer to 1-1.5lbs. I tell everyone to NOT put their finger on it until the sights are where they want to hit. It goes off that easy.
My 357 is 1lb. I don't let anyone that's incompetent handle it. It was my cowboy match pistol. TJ is still fine after all these years. Love the thing. No parts, just a Chuck Ries TJ on it with an little piece added to the trigger for me and a peice added to the front sight to make it a ramp. Chuck's 3 screw 357 bored out to 44 was hairier since he was quick draw for years. He could bring it out of the holster and run off 3 rounds faster than an auto.

If you had a 1911 done by Swenson or Jim Hoag decades ago, people brought them to Chuck to get the trigger's done right.

It's very difficult to say which is my favorite. Depends on the use I intend to put it to. Offhand Id have to say my Combat Commander .45ACP. Or Browning HP commercial. Love my Python but it's in too good shape to actually carry and shoot except in a lined flap holster to protect the finish. But it's the .45 and 9mm which get carried and used, GENERALLY speaking. I have a long acquaintance with the Browning types.
Then again, the S&W model 36 snub drops into the pocket quite nicely, as does the police positive special... the positive is a revolver I coveted from my boyhood reading of Ellery Queen novels and his father's police positive...
But like I said above, when it's push and shove, the .45 or HP comes out...

I miss my little Ruger Bearcat .22, IMHO one of best little pistols ever made.
When the gun grab was enacted, I sold it back to the government for double of what I paid for it.
It now resides in the local police museum for firearms, I may visit it one day and shed a tear.

I have had several and could not agree with you more. Some were in collector quality but they shoot so well I just shot them. A old three screw super black hawk and a particular black hawk were maybe the best revolvers I have shot.

My favorite carry gun for years was my Smith model 60 in 38SPL. My new
favorite is my Smith model 351 PD, much lighter to pack around. I had a
Smith 650 in 22 WMR that I bought to carry, the 3" barrel and weight were
a problem for me. With the new self defense ammo for the 22 WMR it is
a new ball game. The 351 PD is lighter that the 38 derringer I carried for a
short time.
Bill

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.