Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to using a lube/sizer, have always used the Lee liquid. I now have a Lyman lube/sizer and heater. What is your favorite hard lube to use in this kind of setup for handgun bullets and why? I have some RCBS lube in it now. It seems to still be rather tacky after it cools, unlike commercial cast bullets that I have used in the past. Thanks, Ted

·
Registered
103 Posts
TedH
You don't need heat fer the RCBS lube only the hard lubes. I like Lyman's Orange Magic or LBT Blue cause they work fer me in either rifle or pistol real well !!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that the RCBS was a hard lube. Guess that explains the stickyness.

·
Super Moderator
9,489 Posts
The hard lubes you ae use to on commercal cast bullets (at least most of them) has to be heated to flow...they do make lube-sizer heaters, but you can get by with a hair drier.

But you have to ask "why?". The hard lubes are good for bulk packing bullets for commercial sale...no advantage if you actually set your home cast bullets in rows and then cover them.

Many times with hanguns have recovered fired bullets that were lubed with hard lube. They still had lube in the grooves. Now we can debate exactly how lube works, but one thing for sure is that if it is still on the bullet when it exits, it doesn't do much of anything.

Personally, I have no need for rock hard lubes as I don't just jumble 500 bullets in a box and ship it across country...all I ask is that the lube keeps leading down, promotes accuracy, and doesn't melt into my powder charge and kill the round...lots of lubes can do this, and they don't have to be all that hard.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'll second the Lyman Orange Magic. I've been using it for awhile and it appears to prevent leading when the bullet is properly sized to fit the firearm it's being used in. This lube is also reported to give less smoke than some of the others. It does give less smoke than the Red Rooster used on commercial cast bullets that I use.

·
Banned
548 Posts
tacky bullet lube? after I have sized my bullets, I allways lightly tumble them in a generic babypowder. this prevents them from sticking together as well.
I just get a couple of real cheap plastic kitchen strainers with large enough holes for the powder to quickly sift through.
Work this over a 1/2 gal. ice cream bucket, and re-use the powder. Not fancy, but works like a charm.Halfbreed:D

·
Banned
548 Posts
LAH, Thanks, allways glad to help. Just goes to show anybody can have a good idea, now and then.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I used to use Midway powdered Mica to dust my alox lubed bullets, but I was warned that it is actually highly abrasive by a gunsmith friend of mine. I'm not sure if baby powder is also abrasive, you might want to check it out.
I pretty much only use LBT Blue these days, not because it is hard, but because it works better at high velocity than anything else. Yes, it is much easier to handle and store and load than "sticky" bullets, and that is a great side benefit. I strongly recommend you try Blue if you haven't yet.

regards,
Graycg

·
Banned
548 Posts
Any body ever hear , AS SMOOTH AS A BABYS BOTTOM. I've done this with muzzleloaders for about 22 years.I've never worn out a barrel yet. shooting cast anyway.

·
Registered
173 Posts
favorite hard lube? thats like asking what my favorite way to be torchured is. Use a soft lube Javalina is one of the best and lbt blue is in my opinoin the best over the counter lube if you can find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts