Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who is Your favorite knife manufacturer?

I know this is a firearm forum and this sub forum is labeled "hunting knives", but who is your favorite knife maker regardless of if they make "hunting knives" or simply make every day carry knives?

I ask because I'm a very big Knife guy as of the last few years. More so than firearms really. I've carried a knife for as long as I can remember. My father was never into firearms or hunting but knives and fishing, bikes, off-road, etc... was always a thing we did when growing up. I can remember getting my first pocket knife when I was very young. I have since lost it because that's how young I was :)
It was nothing fancy, a simple folding knife with around a 1.5" blade with a mother of pearl handle.

Anyways, up till a couple years ago, "A knife was a knife" to me. It didn't matter where it came from or what it was made from, as long as it cut, it was good! I have now been ruined. I have a big thing for American Made knives using quality materials. I'm hoping to get some good options out of the responses given in the replies to this thread! :)

To answer my own question:

I am a big Benchmade fan. I've carried a Barrage assisted open knife every day for the last 2 years almost.

The only other brand I buy is Buck. I like several knives that Buck makes as well. The only problem I have with Buck is the fact that about 20% of their knives are made in China... just make it all in America and raise the price a little so I don't have to worry about that :)

I never had a Buck "EDC" or pocket folder knife till recently. I've actually been carrying it instead of my benchmade. The factory edge on it is just as good as the benchmade, but time will tell how well it will hold that edge. They both use different steels and manufacturing processes. The Buck knife was considerably cheaper though but of good quality.

I buy things from foreign countries but I tend to try and buy American when I can. Knives and guns are a big one there. I will admit I'm a big fan of European manufacturers of firearms though. I try to avoid "Made in China" as much as possible though.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Benchmade (my #1 for folders) and Buck are numbers 2 and 3 in my book. When it comes to hunting knives, standing far above the rest for me is Bark River. I really like the convex ground edge both for cutting as well as sharpening.

All-time favorite utility knife is any of the plastic-handled Moras. In fact, they really do well at any task.

For the Scandinavian-grind knives, favorites are Enzo and Helle, in that order, and that's only for sentimental preference.

ON EDIT: Forgot to mention the intriguing little Havalon Piranta. I haven't used it yet on game but I can tell it will be good. Interesting idea and design.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
There is one very specific, almost unmentionable task by which my hunting knives are valued. For that task (hunters will not have to ask) I prefer a long(ish) fixed blade knife that is not too wide. Classic examples include the Buck 102 Woodsman and 105 Pathfinder. Wider blades are better for skinning, but for the "delicate" work, long thin blades are preferred. The folding 110 Buck knife is a standard for hunters; I've carried one for close to 30 years and my wife has one handed down from her grandfather that is older than I am. Both are still very good general purpose knives.

While certainly not of the same quality, the Case Lightweight Hunter (both 9" and 10" model) is good for the "end" of deer field-dressing. They don't hold an edge as well, but I've found they take an edge a little easier than a Buck.

There are other brands for various purposes, from self-defense to filling a display case, but for hunting deer, I'm pretty happy with the above.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I agree with Stretch above about the handiness of the inexpensive Morakivs. Gutted my Kentucky buck with the model with 3.6" blade and the plastic handle affords excellent grip even wet.

They take and hold an edge very well and at only 4 oz add little to my day pack. I still like the 3 blade folder I have for its small saw blade, making easy work for the pelvis.

Two 3.6" versions (one SS and one Carbon steel) and one 4.1" SS

Attachments

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Kabar and Benchmade. There's probably plenty of great knife makers out there but the 2 mentioned, with a fixed and folding Kabar / auto Benchmade, have been through **** and high water with me, been beat to death and abused beyond what the makers would have probably thought possible. All 4 are still serviceable and ready to get the job done.

The short Tanto Kabar gets most of the abuse these days. The least expensive of the bunch, I won't break the bank replacing it if I break it splitting a brick or whatever I'm doing at the time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Favorite hunting knife is probably my vintage Marble's Woodcraft. My father picked it up at an estate sale in the early '70's, and from what I could research, it was probably made in the 1950's. He used it for thirty years, then gave it to me. I never knew why it was his favorite knife until I handled it - good steel, great blade design, perfect size.

Picking a favorite manufacturer would be tough - Buck, Schrade, Uncle Henry (older, US made stuff), KABAR, Western (vintage), Puma, Grohmann, Boker, SOG, Gerber...have good blades from all of them. I'm partial to the AUS 8 steel SOG uses in its knives - brilliant for the price. Their Tsunami tanto is probably my favorite overall, but it ain't no huntin' knife.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Favorite knife maker?? Me.

440-C, Hollow ground, taper tang, big horn sheep scales, Cryo heat-treat to 58c.
You know it's not cool when you post these pictures of artistic beautifully made knives and then won't make me one. Do I have to beg or what, because I will if that's what it takes. Time, time's not a problem, it takes two years to get a Randall and they don't have the personal handmade look yours do let alone the artistic flavor.
Kev

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Every model in the Buck range - despite being mass produced it has an almost dull - but still with an attractive sheen surface, holds its edge but not too hard for sharpening, size of handles and sizes and profiles of their blades well thought out for its related job, very affordable and a pleasure to use. The Chinese are surely doing a good job there of what was an American have-to-own. No remaining, unfinished scratches. An unpretentious knife to do a job.

Reactions: Wawbeek

·
Registered
647 Posts
I carry a Benchmade auto everyday, sometimes a Barrage. I've even skinned and gutted deer with my little auto. Those to are my everyday knives. For hunting I like Buck 110, and the red handled Victornoxs, or Vickys as we commercial fishermen call them. I also have a Benchmade hunter, several different buck knives other than 110, and a small selection of Kabars in the house, truck, shed, etc...I have a Mora knife in my tackle box, and somewhere in my shop is a box of other brands that didn't work or I didn't take a cotton to...

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most of the Bucks are still made in the US.
I saw something on it from their website once and I want to say that it said roughly 80% was made here in the USA and the rest were made overseas. I tend to watch for "buck USA" on my buck knives. Although their Chinese made knives are made of the same components and quality. So it's not a huge deal, I just prefer to buy American.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
My very first fixed-blade was a Buck 102. I was 13, maybe 14, and I somehow lost that knife in the woods in central Texas. What a great loss to that young, stupid kid.

The knives made in China are not always the same material. Their 8Cr##MoV steels are their own, and when they use 420 and 440, and AUS8 steels, they are not necessarily the same blend as Buck or any other knife maker will use here. For example, in the late 90's, Benchmade stopped using AUS8 steels from Japan because of the impurities in the blend. Benchmade's overseas red-class Taiwanese knives (if they're still making them) do not use their D2, 154CM, S30V, etc. Instead, they'll use a Chinese or other steel blended overseas. I believe Buck (Kershaw, et al) is the same way.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Most of the Bucks are still made in the US.
That's something you have to watch with just about every manufacturer these days. My Kabar folding knife is made in USA, but when I went to order one for a friend, it was made in China!!! Sent it back. Looking at their website, there is a Made in USA tab now.

Schrade / Uncle Henry's another. I gave a small one to my oldest daughter with strict instructions to take care of it because they are practically all made in china now.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My very first fixed-blade was a Buck 102. I was 13, maybe 14, and I somehow lost that knife in the woods in central Texas. What a great loss to that young, stupid kid.

The knives made in China are not always the same material. Their 8Cr##MoV steels are their own, and when they use 420 and 440, and AUS8 steels, they are not necessarily the same blend as Buck or any other knife maker will use here. For example, in the late 90's, Benchmade stopped using AUS8 steels from Japan because of the impurities in the blend. Benchmade's overseas red-class Taiwanese knives (if they're still making them) do not use their D2, 154CM, S30V, etc. Instead, they'll use a Chinese or other steel blended overseas. I believe Buck (Kershaw, et al) is the same way.
Ha! Two of the Buck knives I own (119, 105) are foundlings left behind by kind people such as yourself...;) Simply had to procure a sheath and add them to the collection.

Puma makes the blades for many of its SGB line in Germany, then sends them to China for finishing and assembly. Reduces the selling price of the knife by 50% as opposed to building them in Europe, with essentially the same quality product.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts