·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Anza fixed
Benchmade or Cold Steel folder

·
Banned
148 Posts
Rough Rider is built in China but quality is very high.

TR
A friend has a Hogue folder and brought it over and was showing it off. I pulled my Cold Steel lawman and we compared knives. He's sending the Hogue back, and he looking at the Cold Steel Recon to replace the Hogue.

For the price and the quality, you can not beat Cold Steel knives.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Have an old Gerber E-Z Out made in American, its light weight and sturdy, even now after 15yrs. But I have to say, the cold steel lawman I have is a beast compared to the E-Z out. If you were ever forced into close-up work with a knife, this folder (Lawman-Cold Steel) would be the ticket.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Boring answer, but probably Buck. Good price and American made. If I am looking for something a little different than standard knife, Knives of Alaska.

Got a Hess Whitetail, I like cause I am a Yooper. Also not to big. Other UP knives are a bit pricey, though less than what some of you are spending.

Had been using orange handle KOA elk trekker. Went back to 110 this year, for nostalgia. Folding knives do feel good on side, when sitting. I'd like to see more non cool knives with bright orange handles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took a tour of the Buck factory in Post Falls Idaho a couple weeks ago. If a guy gets a chance, it's a really interesting experience. I didn't have any idea they are as big as they are! Over 300 employees and lots and lots of machines. Their heat treating room was very interesting too. Just to give a guy a small perspective as to their size, when they moved to Idaho many, many, years ago...they had eighteen...18 wheelers trucks just to haul equipment, and they are a lot bigger now. They said their 110 models have passed the 15 million mark now!
I've always had some Bucks laying around, and a friend bought me another fixed blade with G-10 handles from them when we finished the tour.
I have never been a fan of Chinese knives and only would consider their American made ones, but I would highly recommend taking that tour. It's a real eye opener about the Buck company.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like hand forged carbon steel knives. I bought a Billy Watson sheath knife at the Alafia River Rendezvous in Bartow Florida in January.That's a real treasure, Ihave a KinFolks skinner that I use in the Fall. Daily use in the Maine woods I have a KinFolks small sheath knife that came out off a homestead in Aroostook county. My all time favorite was a hand forged hunting knife by Jas Lowe in Berlin NH. It belonged to my Great Uncle who was a Maine State Policeman with My Grandfather in the days before automobiles. My Grandfather gave it to his brother in-law. My Grandfathers sister gave it back to him after Uncle Earle died. I got it after my Grandfather died in 78. I carried it for years and dressed out lots of game. About nine or ten years agoI passed it down to my oldest son a career Coastguardsman. He has dressed more game than I did already! I have searched in vain to find anther one for myself. I guess they are very rare.
Nit Wit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cactus:
I'm techno challenged and the Lowe knife is on Kodiak island. I have a Rhuana and a Hudson Bay knife out of Montana, Smith I think made it.
NW

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
A friend has a Hogue folder and brought it over and was showing it off. I pulled my Cold Steel lawman and we compared knives. He's sending the Hogue back, and he looking at the Cold Steel Recon to replace the Hogue.

For the price and the quality, you can not beat Cold Steel knives.
Just looked t them. They have a knife in there exactly like a knife I had in 1970. Lover that knife and loved it eve more when I had it flat ground.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've had very good luck with the sturdy build and excellent steel found in the BUCK line up of knives. Affordable, too!

TR

·
Registered
108 Posts
1) My old, beat-up Kabar because I carried it for years in uniform and it still does the job.
2) My CRKT folding knife because it fits perfectly in my hand, and also because my daughter borrowed it for her class camping trip and all the boys were like "WHOOOOAAAAA." :)
3) My Swiss Army Knife because the Swiss authorities would probably deport me if I didn't have one - and I have to admit, it is mighty handy.

I'm looking at picking up a Benchmade next time I am back in the States.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Always has been Randall...I let a college roommate talk me out of ordering my heart's desire when I could have gotten one for $60! I have regretted buying food with that money for decades! :mad:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Favorite maker? On my belt most often is a Buck 110. When i am in the field, I wear a four inch puukko by Tapio Wirkkala. Just recently i have started cartying an Asheville Steel Paragon Warlock. I like it so far.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Always got great service out of bear and sun

61 - 80 of 114 Posts